Introduction: Vegan Banana Chocolate Protein Muffins
In this instructable I will show you how I make vegan banana chocolate protein muffins.These muffins contain a lot of fruit, hardly any sugar, additional protein, no butter or dairy and they are totally yum.
I used to make muffins from ready to make packets. In these recipes there was always a call for large quantities of butter and sugar. So I searched for butter replacement and sugar replacement and egg replacements. One of the best butter replacements is apple sauce. With it you still keep that soft moist texture that you get with butter. To reduce the amount of sugar I found stevia which is extracted from a plant and has a strong natural sweetness. As it is about 6 times sweeter only a fraction of this replacement is needed.
I have made them with and without an egg but to be honest with egg they are even more fluffy but with a flaxseed egg replacement you get a great result. To give it flavor I add a banana and cacao powder. For more protein I add a scoop of vegan chocolate powder.
This recipe is all about wet ingredients and dry ingredients. I start with the wet ingredients first. Make the flaxseed replacement using smashed 1 tablespoon of flaxseed and 2 tablespoons of water. Now mash the banana, add the apple sauce and further add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir and set aside.
Then you put all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir them through. Now add the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir, stir, stir to combine wet and dry ingredients. As finishing step you can add some cacao nibs for a little extra crunch.
Pre heat your oven at 375℉ while you fill a muffin pan with the batter. Bake the muffin for about 20 minutes and check if they are done. Take a bamboo skewer and pinch the muffin. If it comes out dry they are done however if they are still wet then leave them for 2 minutes more and check again until dry.
Take the muffin pan out of the oven and let the muffins cool slightly. Now take them out of the pan and they are ready to serve.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the banana chocolate muffins? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make 12 muffins you need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of grounded flaxseed
2 tablespoons of water
- 2 large or 3 medium size bananas
- 1 cup of apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of oatmeal flour
- 2 teaspoons of Stevia if you want to use regular sugar add 400 g of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup of cacao
- 1 scoop of (vegan) protein powder
- ½ cup of cacao nibs
Step 3: Instructions
- Pre heat oven at 375℉.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of water through 1 tablespoon of grinded flaxseed. Stir and set aside.
- Mash the bananas. Add the banana sauce and vanilla extract. Stir and set aside.
- Combine oatmeal flour, stevia (or sugar), salt, baking powder, baking soda, cacao, protein powder in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir.
- Add the cacao nibs and stir.
- Divide batter over muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check if the muffins are done with a bamboo skewer. If it comes out dry they are done. If still wet then leave them for 2 minutes more and check again until dry.
- Take the muffin pan out of the oven and let the muffins cool slightly. Ready to serve
Step 4: Notes
If you like you can cover the muffins with additional chocolate sauce or some caramel sauce or coconut dulce de leche.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.