Before the pitch fork, yes many vegans say honey isn't vegan aaaannddd, since this is my vegan version, it is not using honey but rather maple syrup. However, since this dessert is called Honey Cake and is of Hungary origin, I don't want to change it to Maple Syrup Cake :-D
There are vegan honey out there btw, should you want to use honey instead maple syrup :)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Dough Ingredients and How To
Dough, makes 4 thin layers:
- 150 g sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 50 ml almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 100 g vegan margarine
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed soaked in 3 tbsp water, let stand for 5 mins til thicken)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 450 g flour
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in center
- Pour in wet ingredients and knead
- Let dough rest while making filling
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Divide dough into 4 portions and roll them super thin and place on separate parchment paper/aluminum foil lined baking sheets
- Bake each layer one at a time for @ 6 minutes Cool on rack
Step 2: Cream Filling Ingredients and How To
While resting dough, you can start making the filling.
- 500 ml almond milk
- 2 envelopes of vanilla sugar (such as from dr oetker)
- 100 g semolina
- 200 g icing sugar
- 100 g vegan margarine
- Bring everything (but margarine) to boil, cook until thickened, then take off from heat.
- Stir in margarine to melt and combined nicely
- Let cool to room temperature
Once cake layer are baked and cooled, cream filling is ready and cooled as well, prepare chocolate glaze (see the following step)
Once chocolate glaze is prepared, start stacking and layering cake layer and cream filling
- Take one layer, top with cream filling. Lay another layer on top of the cream filling, and spread cream filling again. Do this one more time with the third layer and filling, then lay the last layer on the very top.
Step 3: Chocolate Glaze
After the very last cake layer is stacked, spread the chocolate glaze immediately. Let stand for 10 mins then chill overnight before slicing
- 50 g vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tbsp water
NOTE: always let the cake, cream filling, and chocolate layer chilled overnight. Flavor will develop nicely :)