Introduction: Vegan and Gluten-Free Spicy Gobi Kurkuri/Fries
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside cauliflower fries; super easy to make, delicious and loaded with spicy Indian flavors! Have a plateful of these tasty crispies with chai or coffee!!
Step 1: Ingredients:
- 2 cups gobi/cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves/cilantro
- 1 large green chilli/jalapeno/serrano, finely chopped
- 1–inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 to 3 large cloves of garlic, grated
- 6 to 8 tbsp besan/chickpea flour
- 5 to 7 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp red chilli powder/cayenne powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp hing/asafetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Ketchup or/and green coriander chutney for dipping
Chop cauliflower into medium-sized florets; wash well in plenty of water and drain
Transfer the florets into a large bowl. To this, add finely chopped onions, green chilies, grated ginger and garlic, finely chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, red chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder and hing. Mix well.
Stir in chickpea flour or besan, rice flour and salt to taste. Sprinkle water over the mixture and give it a good mix (using nature’s tool, your hands!).
Adjust the amount of besan, rice flour or water to get a good coating of the gobi florets.
Leave aside to marinade for about 5 to 10 minutes (optional; you can fry them right away too).
Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
Once the oil is hot, drop the flour and spice coated florets in batches and deep fry on medium high heat until crisp, golden and cooked through. Keep flipping the florets around in the oil. Do not over crowd the pan.
Remove to an oil-absorbent paper towel lined plate to blot the excess oil.
Deep fry a few curry leaves in the end to a crisp texture. Transfer the spicy gobi or cauliflower fries/kurkuri to a serving plate, garnish with coriander leaves/ fried curry leaves and serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon/lime juice and some dip like ketchup or green coriander chutney.
Runner Up in the
Gluten Free Challenge