The rich and creamy coconut milk vegetable rice is an easy to cook dish that is cooked with basmati rice (long grain) ,coconut milk, vegetables and spices.
Since the coconut milk is rich, creamy and bit sweeter than cow's milk, it is considered as vegan alternative for milk in many recipes.
This coconut milk vegetable rice is so tasty it even makes a great recipe for your loved ones lunch box too. Try this easy yet tasty recipe and enjoy!!!
Step 1: Ingredients
1) Basumati Rice (or Long grain rice) - 1 Cup
2) Coconut Milk - 1 Cup
3) Bay leaf - 1
4) Cinnamon stick - 1
5) Cardamom - 2
6) Cloves - 4
7) Green Chilli - 1 (add more if you need it spicy)
8) Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
9) Crushed Ginger(1" piece) and Garlic (2 pods)
10) Chopped onion - 1/3 Cup
11) Chopped Carrot - 1/3 Cup
12) Chopped Potato - 1/3 Cup
13) Green Peas - 1/3 Cup
14) Butter - 1 Tbsp
15) Chopped Mint leaves - 4 -5 strands
16) Chopped Cilantro - 4-5 strands
17) Lemon juice - 1 tsp
18) Water - 1 Cup
Step 2: Sauteing the Vegetables
1) Place a pan on medium heat and add the butter.
2) Once the butter melts, add in the cinnamon stick,cardamom, bay leaf, cloves, cumin seeds, ginger garlic, green chilli and saute for 2 min.
3) Then add the onions and half of chopped mint leaves and cilantro leaves.
4) Keep sauteing and adding on all the vegetables one by one.
5) Now add the salt and cover the pan and cook on low heat till the vegetables are 75 % done.( Add little water if the vegetables stick to the pan.)
Step 3: Cooking the Rice in Coconut Milk
1) In a electric cooker, add the soaked and drained rice.
2) To that add in the sauteed vegetables,lemon juice, coconut milk, remaining mint and coriander leaves and mix.
3) Then add 1 Cup water(For 1 Cup rice = 1 Cup coconut milk + 1 Cup water ). Proportion of coconut milk and water can be altered as per your taste buds. For more creamier taste increase the coconut milk and reduce the water.
4) Now check for the seasoning (salt) and add if necessary. Later this point seasoning is not possible.
5) Cover the lid and allow it to cook. Cooks approximately for 20 min.
6) Once cooked, switch off the cooker and allow it sit for few minutes (5 min)
Preparing the yogurt side:
To the 1/2 cup of yogurt, add some grated carrots, diced onions, chopped coriander leaves and salt. Mix everything well. Yogurt side is done !!!