The word "tikki" means small cutlet or croquette in Hindi, Marathi, and Tamil. They can be made with potatoes, also called aloo tikki or as I am showing here with rice.
It is served hot and warm along with sauces, and sometimes yogurt or chick peas.
This vegetable dish is crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and overall very tasty.
Step 1: Keep All Ingredients Ready
- One cup of cooked rice or left over rice
- One Boiled and mashed potato
- One grated carrot
- One finely chopped onion
- One teaspoon of red chili powder
- One teaspoon of coriander powder
- Salt depending on your taste
- One teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
- Half a teaspoon of lime juice
- Half a cup of bread crumbs
- One tablespoon of corn flour
Step 2: Procedure
- Boil the potatoes and mash them. Grate the carrot and chop one onion.
- Cook the rice by adding a little more water so that it will be softer and you can easily mash it later.
- Take a mixing bowl and add one cup of cooked rice to it. Mash by using a spoon or your hands
- Add the grated carrot to the cooked rice
Step 3: Add the Boiled Smashed Potatoes and Chopped Onions
- Add the boiled, mashed potatoes and one finely chopped onion
Step 4: Add Spices
- Add a teaspoon of red chili powder, two teaspoons of coriander powder, as much salt as you like and a teaspoon of a ginger garlic paste.
Step 5: Mix Everything
- Mix everything so that all spices are coated with the vegetables and rice.
Step 6: Add the Bread Crumbs and Corn Flour
- Finally add half a cup of bread crumbs, one tablespoon of corn flour and mix everything.
- Gather everything to form the dough.
Step 7: Make Small Patties
- Now take small portions, flatten them using your fingers and make small patties as shown in the images.
Step 8: Fry the Tikkis
- Heat the skillet and place the patties into it.
- Add a few drops of oil around each patty and cook them until the bottom side turns a little brown.
- Once the bottom side turns brown, flip and cook the other side
Step 9: Serve
Serve vegetable rice cutlets with tomato sauce or for example yoghurt.