Introduction: Venezuelan Arepas Corn Cakes
In this instructable I will show you how you can make arepas. Arepas are corn cakes that are eaten a lot in South American countries like Venezuela or Columbia. They are vegan, gluten free and easy to make with just a couple of ingredients.
Just like bread you can eat these corn cakes as a sandwich or a regular slice of bread and eat it with sweet or savory toppings. They are also delicious to eat as a side dish with some vegetable curry or stew.
Step 1: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the arepas? Then watch the 1-minute instruction video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make 4 arepas you need the following ingredients:
- 1½ cup PAN Mais flour
- 1½ cup warm water
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Step 3: Instructions
- Mix the maize flour, salt and add the water. Then add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and knead by hand into a coherent dough.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four pieces and knead each piece into a smooth dough ball.
- Press the dough ball into a disk to the size and thickness of a hamburger.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350℉/175℃ degrees.
- Heat a skillet with one or two tablespoons of oil and brush the skillet. Place the four arepas in the frying pan and let them cook slowly in 5 minutes and brown.
- Turn the arepas over and let the bottom also turn brown for 5 minutes.
- Remove the arepas from the pan and place them on a baking sheet and cook them in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cut in half.
Step 4: Notes
There are a number of maize flours. The pre cooked version for instance comes in a yellow maize flour or white maize flour. I used the yellow flour to make it more festive. Be aware that the corn for this recipe is different than the flour used for corn tortillas. Look for flour that says harina precocida or masa al instante. A popular brand is Harina PAN.
Arepas are best eaten fresh from the grill, pan or oven. You might be able to store them in the freezer and warm them on a griddle or pan. However the best way to eat them right out of the pan.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.