Victorian/Steampunk Mad Scientist Light

Introduction: Victorian/Steampunk Mad Scientist Light

About: Custom car audio install, fabricator and collector of the unusual.

Here is my version of the "Steampunk/Victorian/Mad Scientist Light. I do give inspirational credit to "tim-1138".
The materials used were:

14 guage bare solid copper wire
14 guage insulated copper wire
rotary dimmer switch
4 aluminum spacers from discarded hard disc drives
cord from an old dvd player
brass parts from a victorian replica phone
dollar store pine box
large brass plumbing accorn nut
old telescopic automotive antenna
two "intermediate base" tube bulbs
clear lexan tube from discarded "under car" neon lights
old tarnished brass cabnet corners i had layin around

I started with building my own bulb sockets for the bulbs because i was home b4 i realized the bulbs i purchaced
were "intermediate" base bulbs (smaller than a standard bulb, but bigger than a nightlight bulb base). So i cut
the lexan tubing about 1inch long x2. Then took 2 lengths of the 14 guage solid copper wire and coiled it tightly
around the threads of the bulb`s base, creating the threaded socket inserts. I then dremal`d holes and slots in
the lexan tubes to secure the coiled inserts. Took two more pieces of the solid copper wire about 2 inches long
and bent them in half to fabricate the center contact of the socket. After testing the "threads of my copper coils
I JB Kwik Welded them secure. Then kwik welded an aluminum ring on each socked about a quarter inch from the top
for the inner flange. Moving on to the box modification once i was pleased with my homemade bulb sockets. drilling
holes for the two sockets, the dimmer switch, and mounting holes for the decorative brass dome covering the dimmer.
The brass dome from the old phone needed hidden mounts, so I kwik welded small threaded "L" brackets i had kickin
around on the inside of the dome so it could be mounted from underneath keeping things clean. The shaft of the
dimmer switch then needed to be extended to make the rotary knob reach the top of the dome, this is where the
antenna comes in. Picked the correct diameter section of antenna and cut to the length i need, kwik welded it to
a largish brass accorn nut, thus creating the rotary dimmer knob and extention. I then carefully flattened one
side of the antenna tube to duplicate the "D" shape of the dimmer switch shaft.Found it worked perfectly just
pushing it on for a nice tight "friction" fit. Wiring was easy, but if its not your forte, recruit some experienced
help. REMEMBER ALL ELECTRONICE HAVE SMOKE INSIDE....its our job to make sure the SMOKE stays inside! LOL. The brass
corners were old tarnished ones i had found in one of my many junk drawers, and the brass "spikes" on each corner
were from an old non-functional "anniversary" clock. After assembly wiringing and testing, the entire assembly was
mounted to the antique looking brass base frm the phone previously listed. Hope this helps anyone wanting to build
their own, thnx 4 looking. Any questions feel free to ask.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Be the First to Share


    • Backyard Contest

      Backyard Contest
    • Silly Hats Speed Challenge

      Silly Hats Speed Challenge
    • Finish It Already Speed Challenge

      Finish It Already Speed Challenge

    6 Discussions


    7 years ago on Introduction

    Where do you get your bulbs. I can find them on the internet for like 5 bucks a piece and was wondering if you got them somewhere cheaper?


    Reply 7 years ago on Introduction

    i think i paid 3-4 bucks each at my local hardware store. have seen simular bulbs at the dollar store guessed it...a dollar lol

    Beautiful styling! It must be such a joy for you to have that around, I know I would be pretty happy to have one in my lounge room!


    Reply 7 years ago on Introduction sits on my desk where my laptop sits...i see it alllll the time.

    Winged Fist
    Winged Fist

    8 years ago on Introduction

    This is a great looking final product, but your instructable is very difficult to read in it's current format. You should consider reformatting this into a step-by-step format, or at the very least, a few paragraphs, to make it easier to follow the process.

    It's a really cool looking lamp, and I'm sure many would be happy to see the process documented as a proper instructable.


    Reply 8 years ago on Introduction

    thnx n sorry....but after 3 attemps at a step by step format, "instructables" was not co-operating, so i decided i wasnt typing it all out AGAIN, and used "notepad" then copy n pasted it. as to not lose it all a 4th time. my next project i may just video tape it. but a picture is worth a thousand words, so "they" say....really wished i knew who "they" were though....they say a lot of things LOL.