One can view the current location on the city map without GPRS/4g/Wifi connections needed.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Getting Offline Maps for Android Phones
1> on PC: Mobile Atlas Creator : http://mobac.sourceforge.net/
2> rmap (on Android Phone) : Android Market: rmap
1. Download & Install Mobile atlas creator and launch it , you would see a window as IMG1, select Map Source, Rename Atlas content,
2. Click on maps , selection Mode : Polygon/ Rectangle
3. Draw polygon/Rectangle on your area of interest. Select the zoom levels you need offline.
4. Save Selection.
5. Atlas -> Create Atlas
This starts downloading the map tiles and saves it to your PC
6. Once the download is done , copy the
7. Before above step install rmaps from Android Market, and edit settings to point to /sdcard/rmaps/maps for User Defined Maps.
8. Launch Rmaps on phone and select the
9. Turn on GPS and the map gets updated with your current location.