Intro: Vinyl Leggings
Learn how to sew a pair of stretch vinyl leggings with brass ankle zips. These are perfect for rock star outfits, cosplay, halloween - you can combine them with anything to create tons of great looks.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
You'll need the following:
- 2 yards 4-way stretch vinyl fabric: http://www.mjtrends.com/categories-Stretch-PVC,Fab...
- Leggings pattern custom for your body: http://www.mjtrends.com/pattern.php
- Rotary Cutter: http://www.mjtrends.com/categories-Rotary-Cutter,N...
- Cutting Matt: http://www.mjtrends.com/categories-Cutting-Mat,Not...
- 2 brass ankle zippers: http://www.mjtrends.com/products.Black,9-inch,non-...
- 1 crotch zipper: http://www.mjtrends.com/products.Black,12-inch,non...
- Rolling foot presser foot: http://www.mjtrends.com/products.Roller,Presser-Fo...
- Seam Ripper: http://www.mjtrends.com/categories-Seam-ripper,Not...
- Tailors Chalk: http://www.mjtrends.com/categories-Tailors-Chalk,N...
Step 2: Cut Out Pattern
Lay your Legging pattern on top of your fabric. Make sure your fabric is folded in half so you can have two cuts, one for the right leg and one for the left.
Step 3: Mark Leggings for Zippers
Measure the zippers that will go on the leg of your leggings. Mark the length of the zipper on the leg with tailors chalk.
Step 4: Cut Opening for Ankle Zippers
Make a cut on the outside of the leggings where the zippers will go.
Step 5: Baste Ankle Zippers in Place
Add a basting stitch on the pants to assist with inserting the leg zippers. I used red thread so it would be easily visible to remove. You can pluck open the inner leg stitch to make inserting the zipper easier and re-stitch it once the zipper is inserted.
Step 6: Stitch Ankle Zippers
Stitch your zipper. Remove pins as you move further along the zipper.
Step 7: Removing Basting Stiches
Now you can remove the red basting stitch.
Step 8: Pin Crotch Seam, Stitch Inner Leg Seams
Match up your rear seams of the leggings, I marked a little R for rear. Once you have match your rear seams, you can bring to your sewing machine and stitch the legs
Step 9: Insert Crotch Zipper
Take one side of the crotch at a time, sew the right side of the zipper to the right side of the crotch, and the left side of the zipper to the left crotch seam.
Step 10: Final Touches
Your finished crotch seam should look like the included image. At this point you can top stitch a hem on the waist and ankles, or since it is vinyl and the material won't unravel, you can call it a day and slide into your new vinyl leggings!