This intractable will teach you how to make a virtual surfboard. This surfboard will spray you with water if you can't balance well, stimulating what would happen to a real surfer. This surfboard uses a balance board and a water pump to recreate a surfer's experience!
Step 1: Materials Needed
- 12 V battery
- Water pump motor with pipes
- A rectangular balance board
- OR :
- 1 inch diameter pvc pipe, 11 inches long
- 18.5 by 11 by 1.5 inch wooden board
- 2 by 2 by 7 cm wooden block (2 blocks)
Step 2: Step 1: Making the Balancing Board
That is the bottom of the board.
- To make the board you need to put the PVC pipe in the middle of the wooden board.
- Then, using the glue gun, stick two blocks either side of it; fastening it into position (as shown in the image).
- Stick a piece of cardboard covered in copper tape at one end of the board.
- Cover the top of the board with black chart paper.
- Stick an image saying Surfboard or anything you would like written on your surfboard on the black chart paper.
Step 3: The Circuit
The circuit basically comprises of three connections and one switch (not a traditional switch but the board and the copper tape on the floor form a switch). The way to make it is :
- Place the surfboard where you don't mind spilling water.
- Put copper tape on the ground, below the board, in such a way that the copper tape on the board and the tape on the ground touch when the board is tilted towards the ground.
- Connect the positive side of the battery and the copper tape on the board using a wire.
- Connect the motor to the copper tape on the ground using a wire.
- Connect the negative side of the battery to the motor.
When the board tilts towards the side of the copper tape on the ground (the copper on the bottom of the board touches the copper on the ground) the water pumping motor should start.
Step 4: The Prototype Connections
This video will show you how to set up the circuit on a larger scale. After you do this you'll have a working prototype!
Step 5: The Working Prototype
This is how your prototype should work.
Step 6: The Final Product
Design the surfboard and backdrop, better than I did hopefully!
Now you have your own virtual surfboard!