Intro: Vizio TV Repair
So my Vizio TV was flashing on & off rapidly every time I switched it on. I would have to give it a smack at the back to get it to stop. I know it's not a good way to get something to work, but it got things working until I had time to repair it. After some Goggleing it was clear it was most probley some capacitor that where damaged. After opening it i found 4 caps on 2 of the circuit boards blown. I replaced them and now it works great.
1. VIZIO Model VW42L HDTV10A
2. Replacment capacitors 470μF
Step 1: Finding the Problem
2. Next I unscrewed all the screw that i could find and removed the stand and back cover.
3. I inspected all the capacitors and found 4 of them were damaged on 2 of the circuit boards on the left and right of the set. You can easily see when they are damaged when the ends are bulged out and/or split open.
4. I unplugged, removed, repaired and replaced one board at a time.
Step 2: Repairing
2. Next I desoldered the old capacitors, cut the mounting silicone with a sharp blade and removed them.
3. After cleaning up the the old solder flunks with an old tooth brush and some WD40. I bent and cut the new capacitor leads to size making sure the polarity was correct.
4. I then soldered them in place and cleaned with WD40 again
5. Then used hot glue to replace the silicon mountings.
6. Finally put the board back and plugged back in.
I put the back cover on and put all the screws back, plugged it all in and it worked great with no problems and is still working now.