Introduction: Watch or Listen to Your Media Anywhere With an Internet Connection
This tutorial will show you how to create an mp3 server and a website that houses Flash videos (FLV's)
Like the ones you see on Youtube.com.
Step 1: What You Will Need
This tutorial assumes you have high speed internet access, who doesn't nowadays?
First you will need to download some things If you have Windows XP Pro you don't need the first Item on the list which is purely the Web Server.
1. A Web server program WAMP, XAMP, APACHE, or if you have XP PRO you have IIS.
I have IIS but i prefer to use WAMP because it adds some extra tools for other projects
2. The Next is your Mp3 Server. This is Vibe Streamer probably the most awesome software I could find on the net very simple install etc. Vibe Streamer
3. The free flv player for your website. JW FLV MEDIA PLAYER 3.16, gotta love the CC license (Creative Commons). JW FLV MEDIA PLAYER 3.16
4. A free Web template or if you know html go ahead and fire up.
1. Free CSS
2. Open Source Web Design
5. Program to convert your existing Videos to FLV format easily. Make sure you download the Free Riva FLV Encoder Free FLV
Step 2: Port Setup
1. We have to set up port forwarding on the router so every thing can get out to the Internet. Keep in mind allowing these ports specific access does allow vulnerabilities to exist in your network. I would recommend using an older computer that you don't care about for your Mp3 and Video Server.
The images below will show which ports:
1. Port 80 for the web server.
2. Port 8081 for the Vibe Streamer (Mp3).
Obviously I have some extra ports on there. I could have Included how to access your computer from anywhere via the Internet but that would have mad this even longer :)
Step 3: Mp3 Server
1. You will want to run the Vibe streamer application, it is very simple I doubt you will need help but if you do they have a tutorial on the site here.
2. Once you have this set up it should take you through the wizard of adding accounts and adding your music. That's one of the cool features as well you can let friends or family members have access to your music collection. They can have their own username and password.
3. It should work! to test enter your web browser and type in http://127.0.0.1:8081 or here
4. Next test it on the internet, you will have to find out what your Internet IP address is go to here to find out what it is. Then copy it and paste it in your web browser followed by the :8081 Example http://188.8.131.52:8081
Step 4: Website and Setup
1. If you have found a web template or you hand coded a website then you are ready to put the website online for testing. We have used Wamp in this tutorial by default Wamp installs to the C:\ drive the default path is C:\wamp\www\ . This is where you need to stick your website or index.html, default.html, etc. Once you have done so you can check the site by entering your web browser and typing http://127.0.0.1 or here.
Now try the internet go to here copy paste the IP into the browser. Example http://184.108.40.206
All should work.
Step 5: Adding the FLV Player to Your Site
1. First extract the JW FLV MEDIA PLAYER 3.16 to the C:\wamp\www directory.
The mediaplayer.swf, playlist.xml, and all of the flv movies that you haven't converted yet should all be there in the www directory.
2. Next you will need to edit your website, you can edit it with notepad or graphical editing programs like nvu (WYSIWYG).
3. You can go to here to use the wizard for your embeded flv player. Once you have created your script you simply insert the code into your html via text editor or WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).
Participated in the
Lonely Planet Travel Tips Contest