Intro: Waterfall Cake
Have you ever thought of a waterfall cake? This is how you can make one!
Step 1: Materials
You will need:
- a cake
- a knife
- a bowl with hot water
- powered sugar
- some plastic decorative trees
- a beater
- icing colors
- two small bowls
- a sieve for sugar
- a spoon
- parchment paper (not necessarily)
- a tray of the size of the cake
Step 2: Shaping the River and the Hills
- Place the cake on the tray that you have covered with the parchment paper (just to be easier for you to clean the tray afterwards) and cut the useless paper around the cake so that it will look more beautiful (remember to leave a little bit more parchment paper for the waterfall).
Carve the cake where you want the river to be.
- Cut the cake as shown in the pictures. Follow the line you previously marked and be careful with the depth of the river so it won't be more than two inches. (Have in mind that the extracted pieces should be entire, to be used afterwards).
- Place those pieces on the cake where you want the hills to be. Cut off some of the corners you don't need and shape the hills better.
- Use the excess crumbs and small pieces to fill in any splits in the cake surface
Step 3: Icing the Hills
- Sift the sugar into the bowl with the water and stir it till it gets thick. Add more sugar or water if it's needed. Actually the quantity of water you'll need is far less than the sugar so start with just a little bit of water. Have in mind that you will need a lot of icing.
- Separate the icing into the two bowls. You may need to make icing twice. Add the icing colors: four drops of yellow and two drops of blue will make the green icing.
- Spread it onto the cake with the help of a spoon. Watch out not to cover the place for the river, because you don't want to get the colors mixed. I also like the idea of the brown showing as the dirt, especially beside the river.
Step 4: Icing the River and Waterfall
- It's now time to use the other small bowl of icing. Put two or three drops of blue icing color into it. Stir it with the spoon and if you think the river should be darker, you can add more.
- Pour that icing all along the river bed. Let it fall down as the waterfall.
Step 5: The Decorative Trees
- Using a toothpick, make holes in the cake in the places you want and as many as your decorative trees.
- Insert the trees in the holes.
- Do not move, or cut, or touch the cake for 40 minutes, let the icing dry.