- 2" PVC Pipe (10') x1
- 2" PVC 45 Degree Elbow x2
- 2" PVC 90 Degree Elbow x4
- 2" PVC T x2
- 2" PVC T x22" to 1" PVC T x1 (the 1" hole is where the weight plates will go; I couldn't find the link. Just go to store and you'll see it)
- 1" PVC Pipe (3') x 1 (I couldn't find the link. Just go to store and you'll see it)
- PVC Glue/Cement
- Rope or Strap of some sort for pulling (I already had this laying around)
- Saw - to cut the PVC pipe
- Mallet - helps to make sure that the connectors and pipes go in as far as they should
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Prepare Your Cuts
We need to make the sled big enough to carry a olympic size weight plate which are just under 17 3/4 inches in diameter
Part A - 5" x2
Part B - 4" x2
Part C - 3" x2
Part D - 11" x2
Part E - 3" x2
Step 2: Connecting the Pieces
Dry Connect First
We will make sure the cuts and pieces connect properly before gluing them together.
- Connect the left and right side pieces first
- Connect the crossbars to the left side (top and bottom crossbar "D" and the middle crossbar "E")
- Connect the right side to the crossbars
Once you confirmed that the pieces fit properly together continue to the glue section.
*You must act fast once the glue/cement is on. The adhesive clings on right away and you won't wave much wiggle room as soon as 2 pieces connect with glue on it.
- Just like the "dry" run, do the left side and right side first
- Connect A & B to the T
- Connect the 90 elbow to B
- Connect the 45 elbow to A
- Connect the 90 elbow to C
- Connect the C to the 45 elbow
- Connect bottom D to bottom left 90 elbow
- Connect first E to middle left T
- Connect first E to T (2" to 1" reducer)
- Connect second E to T (2" to 1" reducer)
- Connect top D to top left 90 elbow
- apply the adhesive to bottom right 90, middle T, and top right 90
- connect all 3 crossbars to right side simultaneously (act fast and accurate
Let it dry for a couple of hours.
Step 3: Attach Rope/Strap
Like I mentioned above, I was using Forearm Forklift Lifting and Moving Straps, Orange, Model L74995CN which already has some loops with padding. I was able to tie both of them to the sled and I used the other end to hold.