These stuffed animals are weighted, scented and microwavable/freezable for an added sensory experience. I started making these as a school counselor for teachers to use in their classrooms with students who needed support in emotional regulation. Some would have these "buddies" sit with students at their desks and others would have them in their classroom "calm corner."
- Stuffed animal Weighted material: plastic pettiest, flax seed, bird seed, dried beans, etc.
- Scented material (optional): Dried lavender, dried rose petals, essential oils, etc.
- Sewing supplies: Seam ripper, needle and thread
- Fabric (optional)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Remove Stuffing
- Choose the least conspicuous seam on the bar of the stuffed animal. I usually will start by going with whatever seam has the tag sewed in.
- Remove most of the stuffing (depending on how much weighted material you want to add). If the animal sits upright (lie the panda) leave the head full of stuffing, but if it lays flat (lie the turtle) I weight the whole thing. I also usually leave a tiny bit in each hand/foot.
Step 2: Sew Bean Bags
This is an optional step. These weighted animals have held up very well in my play room so I have stopped doing this step and just fill the animal directly with the weighted material. It takes less time and seems to work about as well.
- Cut fabric to the right size (I used an old pillow case) and sew bean bags that you can fill with the weighted material. I did a large one for the stomach and small ones for the extremities.
Step 3: Fill Animal With Weighted and Scented Material
If you decide not to make bean bags you can do this step instead.
- Fill the stuffed animal with the weighted and scented material directly.
- Hold the animal upside down and used a funnel or cut to fill the cavity.
- Use your hand to pac the material tightly into the extremities and then continue filling.
Step 4: Sew Up the Seam
- The last step is to sew up the seam
- I go over the seam a couple times to make sure it will not easily split.
Step 5: Enjoy Your New Weighted Animal
This is an entry in the