I often find myself transitioning from being in a wheelchair, to using crutches, and visa versa.
This is not a pretty, skillful, or a crafty solution, but it is a simple, and easy solution to that problem.
Step 1: Parts and Tools Needed
1. A wheelchair
3. Some PVC piping. ---- I used 80 cm long pieces of 80 mm diameter drain pipe. The only requirement is that the crutch tip fits inside. I made the length so I could see the top of the pipe while sitting in the chair. This is important to aid putting the crutches into the pipes.
4.Two pieces of short rope. (40 cm -ish)
5. Piece of wood long enough to put between the braces at the bottom of the wheelchair. (42 cm in my case)
6. 2 lids off of small yogurt containers. Any round plastic a bit larger that the size of the pipes.
1. Duct tape --- I love a project where the only tool needed is duct tape.
Step 2: Installing the Brace.
I originally made this project without this piece of wood acting as a support for the pipes.
Without this board brace, the wheelchair can still fold up, to fit in the car.
With the brace, there is something firm to rest the bottom of the pipes on.
Whether to use a brace or not, is your choice.
I positioned the board brace, then duct taped it to the wheelchair frame.
Step 3: Making the End Caps
Because I used 80 mm diameter PVC pipe, I could not buy proper end caps. 80 mm diameter PVC pipe is used for down pipes on gutters. It is thinner and lighter because it will never have pressure in it.
End caps can be purchased if you use 50 mm or 110 mm diameter pipe.
I originally used 110 mm diameter piping, and put both crutches into the one pipe. This led to much frustration from the crutch tips getting tangled or jamming.
I used old yogurt container lids, and trimmed them to the size of the pipes.
Step 4: Securing the End Caps.
I put the caps on the pipes, and wrapped duct tape around them. The bottom of the caps will be against the board brace, so strength is not important in securing the end caps.
The first time I made this project I just put duct tape across the bottom of the pipe, with no caps. This allowed the crutch tips to stick to the tape, making it difficult to get the crutches out of the pipes.
Step 5: Placement of the Pipes.
Because my wheelchair has retractable armrests that fold back out of the way, I needed to make sure the armrest would not hit the pipes. Another good reason for the brace board, as it allows more flexibility in placing the pipes.
Step 6: Securing the Pipes
I duct taped the bottom of the pipes to the board brace,
I tied the ropes around the top part of the pipes, to the push handles of the wheelchair.
Step 7: Finish
Now the crutches ride around with me.
I feel like a Samurai when I draw the crutches out, and put them back into the pipes.