Step 1: Ingredients
This recipe yields about 3-4 tartines, so adjust the quantities as needed.
White Bean Spread:
- 1 (15-ounce) can of cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 1/2 or 2 lemons)
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- chopped chives, basil, tarragon (you can use all or a mixture of either, quantity can be to taste)
- 3-4 slices of bread
- olive oil
- pea sprouts and microgreens
- sea salt
- For the mayonnaise, I used hummus as a substitute, but you can also use plain greek yogurt or avocado.
- You can use other toppings other than microgreens such as avocado, watermelon radish, or heirloom tomatoes
- For the toast, I put it in a pan with a slice of butter on medium heat for a few minutes, and it turns to a beautiful golden brown!
Step 2: Instructions
Mash the beans together in a medium-sized bowl, to the point where it is almost completely mashed, with about a third of them still whole. Slowly incorporate the lemon juice, fennel, celery seed, garlic powder, salt, and your choice of the herbs.
Spread the white bean paste onto your toast, drizzle with olive oil as needed and sea salt. Put on any additional toppings. I used microgreens and pea sprouts, but feel free to do whatever you feel will taste best.