Intro: Windows 7: Context Menu Items Missing
Whenever we select more than 15 files in windows. certain items from the context menu go missing...
This tutorial will show you how to get those things back on the context menu.
Step 1: Restore Missing "Open", "Print", and "Edit" Context Menu Items When More Than 15 Files Are Selected
This will show how to restore the missing Open, Print, and Edit context menu (right click) items for when
you have more than 15 files selected in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. This will also set how many items that can be selected to Open, Edit, or Print at once. These context menu items were removed by design like this in Windows to avoid accidentally performing these actions on a large number of files.
Step 2: OPTION ONE
1. To Show Context Menu Items when more than 15 Files are Selected
A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below. NOTE: This sets the MultipleInvokePromptMinimum DWORD value to 10,000 items that can be selected to Open, Edit, or Print at once. If you need a different amount, then you can use OPTION TWO below to manually set what you need.
2. Save the .reg file to your Desktop.
3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
4. Click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC Windows 7/8) or Continue (UAC Vista), Yes, and OK when prompted.
5. If open, close and reopen Windows Explorer to apply the changes.
6. When done, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.
Step 3: OPTION TWO
Manually in Registry Editor
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and press Enter.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7) or Continue (Vista).
3. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
4. To Show Context Menu Items when more than 15 Files are Selected
A) In the right pane of Explorer, right click on a empty space, then click/tap on New and DWORD (32bit) Value. (see screenshot above)
B) Type MultipleInvokePromptMinimum, and press enter. (see screenshot below)
C) Double click/tap on MultipleInvokePromptMinimum, select (dot) Decimal, type in a number for how
many items you would like to be able to select at once to either Open, Edit, or Print at once, then click/tap on
OK. (see screenshot below)
(Note: Typing in 16 or above will allow Open, Edit, and Print to always be available in the contect menu no matter how many items you select. However, the number you enter here is how many items you will be able to select at once to actually be able to Open, Edit, or Print them all at once though.)