Intro: Wire Skeleton Wings
- 1 spool of 9 gauge wire (maybe 20 feet)
- 1 spool of 12 gauge wire (maybe 10 feet)
- 1 3' 1/8" metal rod
- JB Weld (maybe 3 tubes)
- Lots of silver ribbon]
- 1" black webbing (maybe 5')
- Wire / bolt cutters
Step 1: Prep
You'll want to cover the surface area with something. I used a piece of fabric, which both kept junk off the carpet, and provided contrast so that pins and other small pieces didn't get lost.
Step 2: Frame
Since this was going to be a pretty heavy frame, I needed something that would be strong enough to hold it up. Wire doesn't come much thicker than 9 gauge (or at least I wasn't able to find any) so I opted for a 3' metal rod.
After bending it into shape, I cut lengths out of the 9 gauge wire, bending them and laying them out into the shape I wanted for the frame.
Step 3: Spines
Next I laid out the vertical spines on both sides, using 9 gauge wire. Once I was happy that they were mirrored on both sides in terms of length, curve, and spacing, I added the "ribs" also using 9 gauge wire.
The right side of this picture shows how your wings should look at this point, except nothing should be connected yet.
Step 4: Fake Welding
To attach the pieces of wire together:
1. Get two (or more) pieces of wire lined up
2. Prepare some JB Weld
3. When it is somewhat hardened, coat the joint in the mixture
4. Wrap the joint in the silver ribbon as smoothly as possible, and tie off the end.
The tips (not pictured here) are the hardest, since you have to get several points together at once. I believe I did one connection at a time. Wrap two wires together, then the two with the next one, and so on Bulkier connection, but less likely to fall apart.
This picture shows a close up of a several connections from later in the project.
Step 5: Small Arcs
After connecting the spines, cut out the small for each ridge. Bend them into shape and lay them out for the entire wing before attaching any of the wire.
Once you are happy, start connecting all the pieces. This part takes forever.
Step 6: Finishing Touches
Next I snipped off loose ends of ribbon and trimmed the spines to even them out a bit.
I gently bent the entire structure, to give it a slightly convex shape.
Finally, the webbing was attached to the base.
The Mad Thinker made it!