In this instructable we are going to show you how to make a metal wired felt pattern.
The combination of materials results in a suprising effect. A soft bendable surface with patterned rigid wire.
You can find the design proces here:
Step 1: Assemble Materials and Tools
The first step is to gather al the materials and tools we need for this project.
Before you begin try to find these items:
- A Wooden base plate with the following dimensions or bigger 420 mm x 280 mm
- 4 x M10x65 bolt and nut
- 8 x M10 eyelets (35-10mm and 2 thick)
- 1 x 20x20x240 wood piece
- 1 x 20x20x380 wood piece
- 1 x MDF plate 6mm thick 600x450mm
- transparant paper (baking paper)
- Sturdy nails (3mm thick)
- 50x10mm steel or iron rod.
- Acces to laser cutter
- Wood drill size 12mm
- Circle saw
Step 2: Lasercut Pattern Card
The next step is to start up the lasercutting proces of the pattern cards.
you can do this with this PDF File:
Be sure to click the right download button ()
Make sure to use a 6mm thick panel.
the holes can be drilled manually but that requires precise drilling and alot of time.
Step 3: Prepare Base Plate
Start by cutting your wooden base plate to the right dimensions
Next, mark the drill holes like the ones you see on the drawing
Drill 4 times with the 10mm drill
When the holes are done, insert the bolts and secure them.
flip the board
Cut the wooden pieces to size
Mark the eyelets and make the cutout so they wont be in the way when its glued to the base plate
Apply Epoxy or other multi material glue to the wooden pieces and attach them to the base plate, like in the picture.
Let it rest for 12 hours
Step 4: Perforator
- 100x50mm cilinder wood
- Drill 3 and 10mm
- 10mm x 50mm rod (iron or steel)
- sturdy nails
To make the perforator, we need to make a round piece of wood 50 mm in diameter and about 100 mm in height.
- Drill a 3mm hole in the center of the piece (halfway trough)
- Drill a 10mm hole on the other side of the first hole (halfway trough)
- Drill another 10mm hole on the side, 5mm above the middle of the cilinder. This hole is supposed to reach the other 10mm vertical hole
- Insert the nail from the top, the rod from the side, and the perforator is ready to use.
Step 5: Ready for Use!
The tool is now ready to use!
Phase one: Preparation
- Begin by cutting your felt to size.
- Next, remove the pattern cards.
- Choose the pattern you want to make and put the bottom card in the tool base.
- Next, apply one layer of baking paper on the card before putting the cut felt on top.
- For ease of use, apply another layer of baking paper on the top card and press this trough the 4 guides.
- Close the system with the top card and closing nuts.
Phase two: Perforation
- Use the tool to make the perforations
- Follow the cutting pattern
- Check if all holes are made on control papers
Phase three: Sewing
- Remove all parts from the tool
- Cut metal wire to size ( 5+- cm longer than felt)
- Sew the wire trough the felt
- Ready when all holes are filled.
- You can use the ends of the metal to reconnect the material with itself whilst creating a shape.
- The ones u dont use can be bent over the material so there wont be no sharp edges