After watching the Wonder Woman movie I knew I was going to have to make the logo. I really like the redesign and thought it would make a great addition to our office décor. This is made out of scrap particle board, MDF and backer board. I didn't have to spend any money on this because I even had the right color paints. This is a pretty straight forward build aside for the painting step. I wanted to try and replicate the textured look that the original piece has so I used a dry brush/layered paint technique for that part. Here is how I made the rest of it.
The final piece measures 29 inches by 13.5 inches tall.
Link to build video:
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
The first thing I did was find an image of the logo online and printed out an enlarged version. I have a more detailed instructable on how to print out enlarged images here.
I did use Photoshop to remove the color but this isn't necessary but it does save on ink. Once all the sheets printed I had to trim the excess paper then I tape them together. This will be my template.
Next I cut out the entire shape using an X-acto knife, I prefer a razor to scissors because it is faster and yields a better cut.
With the template cut out I placed it on to a piece of particle board. I probably should have taped it on but I didn't, then I traced the complete outline using a marker. Then with my jigsaw I cut out the shape. This will be the black background that the gold pieces will be glued and screwed to. It is a good idea to make this piece slightly undersized because you don't want this to be visible from the front. I tried to cut just inside the line with my jigsaw so the end result would be slightly smaller.
After I cut out the shape I spray painted it black making sure to get all the edges as well. Then I set this aside to dry.
Now it was time to dissect the individual layers. Since some of the pieces overlap you will end up with gaps, you just have to make sure and add in the missing piece with some scrap paper. I didn't pay attention and taped on some of the pieces upside down. I noticed it when I did a quick mock up, so I had to correct this by cutting off the misplaced pieces and re-taping them on correctly. That's what I am doing in the last 3 pics.
With all the pieces cut out and gaps filled I tape the individual pieces on to a scrap piece of 5/8 inch MDF and used a pencil to trace the outlines. I used a ruler to go back over my lines and make sure they were nice and straight.
With the work piece clamped to my work surface I cut out all the shapes with my jigsaw. Once cut I sanded all the pieces up to 400 grit. The last picture shows the thinner pieces which where cut from a scrap piece of 3/16 inch thick backer board. I have a better picture of these pieces in the following step.
Here you can see a quick mock up I did of all the pieces after sanding. Here you also see the thinner brown colored pieces I referenced too in the previous step. Since those thinner brown pieces sit on top of the all the other MDF pieces I decided to add a small support to the outer sections of it. The supports were scrap pieces of MDF cutoffs that were glued on.
The next step was to spray paint everything black and let it dry. Then I did a light sanding with 400 grit sandpaper and wiped it clean.
To get the texture I was after I decided to spray the gold paint over the black. I then used a stiff nylon brush to remove some of the gold paint. I would swipe the wet paint and clean off the brush and then do it again. I was trying to get straight fine lines in the paint. I tried to pay attention to the direction and minimize overlapping otherwise I would end up with a cross hatch pattern, which I didn't want. Once I was happy with the texture I would lightly spray the entire piece with gold paint. This is a light uneven coat of gold paint to add depth with out covering the texture.
After the paint had time to dry I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and glued all the pieces to the black background piece. I epoxied it so that I would be able to flip the entire thing over and add screws to the back. There are only two pieces that are only epoxied to the piece and those are the two thinner 3/16 inch thick pieces which are fairly light and should hold fine with just epoxy.
And here is the finished piece. I am fairly happy with how this turned out and was pleased with the way the texture came out. I hope you find this Instructable helpful.
Link to build video: