In this Instructables, I'm going to show you how I made my Wood and 3D printed indoor plant pot stand. It was one of those projects that is slightly more complicated then it looks. But is still very easy and only took me a couple of hours (other than the 3D printing).
Step 1: Cut
I started off by cutting down the wood. I set up a stop block which will help me get a consistent and accurate size cut. I clamped down a scrap bit of wood and measured exactly 30cm from the blade to the block. I knew I would have to make 6 x 30cm cuts.
4 of these are for the legs, and the other 2 will form centre supports. Obviously, you can customise these dimensions to suit your own plant pot.
Step 2: Legs
This leaves you with 4 vertical legs at 30cm.
Step 3: Supports
I then took one of the remaining 30cm pieces that was a support piece for the X. I measured in the middle which in my case was 15cm. The 3D printed X support will have one piece that will run all the way through, and then the smaller ones that will meet in the middle.
I cut these down on the mitre saw as well.
Step 4: 3D Prints
Now for the 3D Printing part. I choose to do these in a white PLA. They should be plenty strong once glued in place. I designed the parts using Fusion 360, which is a free piece of software if you are not using it commercially or earning less than $100,000 a year from it. It's got a relatively steep learning curve but stick at it and it is a really powerful bit of software.
Alternatively, in the past, I've used Tinkercad which is totally free and super easy to use. I used some callipers to accurately measure the wood I had to ensure it was 20mm as it was meant to be. I used this to draw out the shapes in Fusion 360.
If you want a more detailed description/video of the design process let me know in the comments below.
You can download the 3D Printed parts HERE and make you're own. Let me know if you do I'd love to see them!
Step 5: Glue
I did play with the idea of using some simple wood screws to screw the 3D printed parts to the wood but wanted to try and keep it looking as minimal as possible.
So I went with some Gorilla Original Glue. I went with this as it works great sticking most surfaces together (including wood and plastic). But also it expands while it's curing, which in this case is super useful. It means that it will expand and fill in any gaps or voids between the wood and the 3D parts to ensure it's a really tight and secure fit.
I glued the 'T' pieces on the legs, as well as the support pieces on the X. I left the middle part as free-floating so I can take it apart still.
Step 6: Felt
I added some small felt patches on the bottom of the legs to protect the floor.
Step 7: Final Shots.
Step 8: Video
Step 9: Contents
↓ This Instructable is entered into the 'Planter Challenge'. If you enjoyed it, please consider giving me a vote below, it really helps! Thanks ↓
This is an entry in the