I'm going to give you a tutorial on how I made a dice tray for Dungeons and Dragons or any other game that involves rolling dice. The size for mine is an 8 inch by 8 inch box, but you can choose to make the sides as long as you wish just make sure to scale it.
- Wood Glue
- Wood Stain
- Finishing Nails
- 1/2 inch thick 8x8in board (wood type doesn't matter)
- 1/4 inch thick 3x50in plank (wood type doesn't matter)
- 1/8 inch thick 8x8in board of Cardboard (optional)
Step 1: Cut the Base to Size
Start out with cutting a large board of spruce into an 8 by 8 inch square
Step 2: Cut the Plank to Size
The plank is going to be the sides for the dice tray. My plank had fancy engravings on the side, but that was completely optional, a regular plain plank would work just the same. Cut the plank into four 8in. pieces, next add a 45 degree cut on one end of the piece and a 135 degree cut on the other end. Be careful to not remove that much extra wood outside of the angle cut.
Step 3: Glue the Sides to the Base
The next step is to glue the side pieces to the base. Make sure to line up the ends of the plank with the edges of the base board. the angles on the ends of the side pieces should be going towards the middle of the base board. Make sure to clamp down each piece to the board while the glue is drying. Remember to put glue on the ends of the side pieces when you glue them together.
Step 4: Nailing
For extra support, I suggest nailing the side pieces to the base board through the bottom. For the best stability, I put 3 nails into each side piece. Nobody's perfect, so right after this step, I sanded down my rough edges and any protruding bits that I didn't want to be there.
Step 5: Staining
The final step is staining the tray, make sure to follow the instructions on your particular stain.
Step 6: Adding a Cardboard Softener (optional)
Rolling the dice can be loud and annoying, so I added a square piece of cardboard to the inside of my tray. In order to get the size just right, I cut an 8x8 in. square down bit by bit, measuring each time and trying to see if it fit. When I got the fit right, i painted one side and hot glued it to the inside of the tray.