Hello guys :D in this Instructables i am going to share you how i made this Wooden miniature Chichen Itza!!!
What is Chichen Itza?
- Chichén Itzá is a world-famous complex of Mayan ruins on Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula. A massive step pyramid known as El Castillo dominates the 6.5-sq.-km. ancient city, which thrived from around 600 A.D. to the 1200s. Graphic stone carvings survive at structures like the ball court, Temple of the Warriors and the Wall of the Skulls. Nightly sound-and-light shows illuminate the buildings' sophisticated geometry.
- Why i build this project? the reason is my teacher ask me to make one of the seven wonders of the.world.
- You will learn how to cut a wood.
- you will learn how to paint.
- Before you build this project and you have no any experience in Woodworking you must approach to your parents or find some help.
- Make sure to wear a safety Eyeglass and Safety Gloves.
- Find some space before starting cutting, make sure you have enough space to fit all those stuff in your workplace.
- In this project it only cost me for about 500 pesos or $10 :D very cheap right.
Please kindly vote for me for the Wood Contest I really really badly need those prize, I cannot afford those item due to lack of money, and that is one of the reason why i make this instructables.
Are you done?
Okay, let's get Started!!!
Step 1: FIND a DESIGN TO COPY
In My case i search for Chichen Itza Pyramid to have a copy of it. in that case i can start making a layout for the template to be done later.
- Make sure to find the best picture for the template.
- Google will help you!!!
Are you done? If yes then let's proceed to the next step!!!
Step 2: ARCHITECTURE
In this step you will need to make a Blueprint design from the picture you have search earlier.
Making a Blueprint is not that easy, you can also ask someone to do this for you in case you didn't know.
There is a 9 steps on my pyramid and they have a different sizes.
- Hall: 3.5" x 3.5"
- Top: 7" x 7"
- Layer 8: 8" x 8"
- Layer 7: 9" x 9"
- Layer 6: 10" x 10"
- Layer 5: 11" x 11"
- Layer 4: 12" x 12"
- Layer 3: 13" x 13"
- Layer 2: 14" x 14"
- Base: 15" x 15"
Size of Stairs:
- Stair 1: 3.5" x 9"
- you will b needing 4 of this.
Note for the Stairs:
- The size of the stair is depend in your layer, in my case since i have a 9 layers with a height of 1 inch i add all those layers to get an equivalent of 9 inches height for the stairs and 3.5" for the width because in the upper most part of the pyramid or the Hall is 3.5 Inches.
Step 3: Providing the Tools
You will need the following tools:
- Hand Saw
- L Square
- Table Saw
What are those tools for?
- Hand Saw to cut the woods in to pieces.
- L Square to keep the angle at 90 degree.
- Hammer to Hammer the nail into the woods.
- Pencil to mark the correct measurements.
- Using Hand Saw and Hammer is dangerous please approach with caution your hand is more important in this project so be careful.
Step 4: PROVIDING THE MATERIALS
For the materials you will need the following:
- 1" x 1" wood in my case i use 0.5" x 0.5" wood to make it more smaller. I didn't the exact amount for this material because it depend in the size of the project.
- a wood glue that will be use to bind the corners together.
- and some nails
- a sand paper with a grit of P1000
- and a popsicle sticks a lot of popsicle sticks
- 10" x 10" Plywood
- It only cost me for about 500 pesos or $10 for all the materials i use in this project, you can also use scrap woods in your garage.
Step 5: Cut the Wood Into Pieces to Match the Layers
Mark the Wood with the measurement of the layer
- In every layer you will be needing 4 pieces of it to make a square.
- Cut an angle in every corner of the wood to make it easier to bind or to connect.
Step 6: Making the Layers
Use your L square to make a perfect 90 degree angle on every corner of the layer to make a perfect square.
- After using L Square apply some wood glue in every single corner of the wood to make it stick so it will be easy to hammer later.
- Use Sand Paper to make the wood smooth so it won't affect any paint materials.
- Ask someone to hold the layer so it will be easy to hammer.
- Do the same step in every every layers.
Step 7: Putting All the Layers Together
After you make all the Layers make sure you add some supporter as shown in the picture. in that case you can nail the layers together.
- You can also apply some wood glue onto the layer in that case it will be easier to hammer.
- adding a supporter make the layers strong.
Just Ignore my Picture ahahah!!! :D
Step 8: Making the Stairs
And now for the Stairs cut a wood with a measurement a total of the height of the layer for example my layer is 9 inch so i am going to cut a 9 inch wood for the stairs, since the Chichen Itza has a total of for stairs in every faces, so you will need 8 cut of this.
- After cutting the wood for the stairs make a cut on vertical direction as shown in the picture so we can put the popsicle inside of it.
- After that glue the oposicle sticks inside the wood.
- when you see some holes on the stairs you can use wood glue to hide it just poor some of wood glue into the hole then let it dry.
Step 9: For the Hall
Cut some Plywood that match the top layer so it can support the Hall or the upper most part of the Chichen Itza.
- As Said earlier the size of the Hall will be 3.5" x 3.5" in that case it can easily put on the top of the layer.
- Be careful cutting the Plywood if you don't know how to do it right ask someone to do it.
Step 10: Putting All Thins Together
And now put all those things together. as shown in the picture
- If you see some hole apply some wood glue into it.
- before proceeding to the next step make sure you use sand paper to make it smooth so it would be easier for the paint to stick.
Step 11: THE FINAL TOUCH!!!
And now for the last step apply paint that match the color of the Chichen itza so it be more realistic.
- To make Gray paint you can mix white and black.
Step 12: FINISH!!!
My team got the first place in mu School Competition.
If you have any question just write down in the comment below. Thank you :D
Ow, wait i forgot something you can also ad some light into the hole :D is it cool right?? :D
Okay, I'm Done.
Participated in the
Wood Contest 2016