Intro: Workshop Sign
I made this workshop sign to stick my woodworking sticker collection on,I was inspired to make it after watching Jimmy DiRestas YouTube videos.
I made a video of the project please thumbs up and subscribe!
Panel pins to hold mdf in frame
Paper glue stick
Step 1: Get Letters Ready to Cut
- I used Microsoft Word to select a type face and print out the name of my workshop to use as a template for cutting the letters.
- Use children's paper glue to stick the template to your Mdf
- I use this glue as it is really easy to peel the template off after I cut the letters out
- Drill holes in any of the letters that need to have the center of the letter cut out like the G in the pictures above.
Step 2: Use a Scroll Saw to Cut Out the Letters
- I used my scroll saw to carefully cut out the letters
- Peel the paper template from the letters,It should come off easily
- Sand all the letters to remove any rough edges
Step 3: Prime & Paint the Letters and Backboard
- I used grey primer to prepare the letters for the black top coat
- follow the instructions on your can and allow appropriate drying time between coats.
- I primed and sprayed the 6mm mdf backboard the letters will stick to white
Step 4: Make the Frame
- You will need to cut your the poplar wood in 2x 40" 2x 23" lengths
- I then clamped the pieces together and used my kreg jig to make the pocket holes
- I screwed and glued the butt joints together
- Nest i used my router to create a rebate the mdf backboard will fit into
Step 5: Paint the Frame
- I primed the frame and when dry applied a blue top coat
- I used 3 coats to get a nice finish on the frame
Step 6: Stick Letters to Backboard
- I used a square to align the letters along the center of the backboard
- I decided to use super glue to stick the letters on
- You need to work quickly and carefully with the superglue as it drys fast and will bubble the paint if you spill any by mistake.
Step 7: Insert the Finished Sign Into the Frame
- I used a jig saw to round over the mdf edges to fit in the rebated frame
- I used small panel pins to keep the sign inside the rebate
- Make sure you have something soft under the front of the sign at this stage so it does not get damaged when working on the rear of the frame
Step 8: Finished!!
I really enjoyed this project!Please watch the YouTube video I made of the build, thumbs up and subscribe if you like it!