Introduction: World's Simplest Electric Car
Playing with toy cars is synonymous to almost everyone's childhood. In this instructable, i decided to re-live those memories by making a simplest toy car powered by just a DC motor and a 9v battery. This project is for kids who are entering the world of DIY and need a simple project to start. This car is a sure shot DIY project that will never fail even in the first attempt.
In case you decide to make this World's simplest electric car, don't forget to share your wonderful experiences in the comments section below.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Watch the Video
My first step is to always recommend watching a video. There is no better tool than a video that makes the procedure simple to understand and easy to follow.
Step 2: Order Parts
- Ice Cream Sticks - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- DC motor - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- 9v Battery - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Battery Clip - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Switch - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Hot Glue Gun - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Soldering Iron - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Ice Cream Sticks - http://amzn.to/2ul2vVK
- DC motor - http://amzn.to/2hNqofx
- 9v Battery - http://amzn.to/2txOMJL
- Battery Clip - http://amzn.to/2tegCZf
- Switch - http://amzn.to/2Ar86sN
- Hot Glue Gun - https://amzn.to/2Sf7oad
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2r3IX6g
- Ice Cream Sticks - https://amzn.to/2pFYBlR
- DC motor - http://amzn.to/2y2nmyZ
- 9v Battery - http://amzn.to/2ulSibD
- Battery Clip - http://amzn.to/2sAZNWa
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2rjNE9r
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2qC47qG
From Home & Local Store: Straw, super glue, wheels(from an old toy), Small & big pulley, metal shaft (from old CD/DVD Drive), rubber band and connecting wires.
Step 3: Make Car Body
- Take 4 pieces of ice cream sticks.
- Using a marker, make a point at one of the ends of the sticks. Note: Make sure that all the sticks have a point at same location.
- Using a mini Drill, make holes at the marked points in all the 4 sticks.
- Using hot glue, paste the sticks to a 9v battery as shown in the image above. Note: It is recommended to use a battery holder, so it will be convenient to replace the battery.
Note: You can use any mini Drill, watch the video to make a mini PCB Drill at home.
Step 4: Add the Components
- Attach a small pulley to the motor shaft.
- Using hot glue, paste the motor at the bottom center of the battery.
- Take a DPDT switch and connect the switch terminals using wires in criss-cross manner to control the motor direction. Note: DPDT switch is not necessary, any ON/OFF switch can be used.
- Paste the switch over the battery using hot glue.
Note: make sure to watch the video or refer to the images to avoid any errors.
Step 5: Make Connections
- Refer to the circuit diagram attached above to make connections.
- Connect the motor terminals to the switch.
- Also, connect the battery terminals to the switch.
- Take 4 wheels and 2 metal shafts.
- Cut few small pieces of straw.
- Insert a piece of straw in a metal shaft and then insert the shaft through the holes in the ice cream stick.
- Insert a straw piece at the other end and fix wheels on both the sides.
- Similarly, insert the other shaft through the ice cream sticks.
- Insert a pulley through the shaft and secure it with super glue.
- Insert the straw piece and fix wheels on both the sides.
Step 6: Finish the Toy Car
Take a firm rubber band and place it between the pulleys on the motor shaft and the wheel axle. Turn On the switch to check the working of the motor.
Our Simplest Toy car is now ready. Be creative and design an arena in the room using items like books, pens, flip flops, etc and play with the car. The car is no less than a monster car and is capable to crawl over anything.
So friends, this here concludes the instructable, stay tuned and don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to receive regular updates. In case you might have missed, watch the video and see how i made this world's simplest Electric car at home.
Thanks For your Support..!!
Participated in the
Trash to Treasure