In a survival situation, closing a large wound can be a challenge.
This contraption imitates the innovative ZipStich at a fraction of the price (29,99 us$ on amazon) it provides a temporary first aid solution, and it is recommended to seek professional medical attention as soon as possible.
Step 1: Materials
You will need:
Step 2: Check the Adherence of the Duct Tape
There are a lot of different brands. For our purpose we need to make sure that the tape will stick efficiently to the skin, so try on your skin: clean an area with alcohol or soap and apply a piece of tape on the dry skin. If the tape sticks well, you are good to go.
Step 3: Apply the Tape on the Plastic Sheet
- clean the plastic sheet before hand, with alcohol or soap, rinse and dry it.
- apply two bands, separated by around three centimeters.
The plastic will protect the tape’s adhesive and keep it as clean as possible.
Step 4: Installation of the Cable Ties
-cut the female extremity of five cable ties
-dispose them on the tape, with around 1cm between each.
- glue them on the tape with super glue (cyanoacrylate).
- do the same with the male parts, serrated side up.
Make sure that the male and female part are properly installed so that they can tighten the gap between the two tapes.
Step 5: Your Wound Closure Contraption Is Finished
-Separate the two tapes by cutting the plastic sheet in the middle.
-Trim the tape on the edges.
-Store in a ziplock plastic bag, away from sun and humidity.
Step 6: Closing a Wound
- clean the wound and the skin around it, with alcohol.
- remove the plastic sheet from the tapes and apply the tapes on the sides of the wound.
- insert the male extremities of the cable ties into the female extremity.
- pull the cable ties to close the wound.
- trim the extra cable tie with a nail clipper.
- seek professional assistance as soon as possible.
Step 7: Extra Notes
-It is possible to find releasable cable ties, this could be a good improvement for this device, as it would allow for a better surveillance of the wound.
- never close a dirty wound, and never apply duct tape directly on injured skin. Duct tape is not a breathable product, neither it is a medical tape.
- if possible, buy the original ZipStitch contraption, as it is medically approved.
- train yourself for first aid interventions.