Decorative basket is woven in the chain crown method. Fun to use as a catchall or place a potted plant inside the basket.
Step 1: Materials for 12 Inch Diameter Basket
- 60 pieces of paper 12’’ X 12”
- 11 ½ “ diameter circle of cardboard
- Four 11 ½ “ diameter circles of paper
- Tacky Craft Glue
- Paper cutter
Step 2: Cutting Instructions
- One 2” X 12” strip
- Three 4” X 10” strips
Step 3: Folding Links for Chain
1. Take one 4” X 10” strip
a. With the white side up, fold it in half lengthwise
b. Then open
Bring in the 10” sides to the middle
Step 5: Folding Links for Chain
- And fold in half lengthwise
- Now you have a 1” by 10” piece of folded paper
Step 6: Folding Links
Next fold in half width-wise and open to long strip above
Step 7: Folding Links
Bring in the1" sides to the middle fold
Step 8: Folding
Fold down tight. This is called a link to the chain
Step 9: Making a Chain
- When you have two or three links you can start your chain of 44 links.
- Push one link through the other link (you've started a chain).
- Hold your chain so it is shaped like a "V".
Step 10: Neat Side of Link (underside Is Messy Side of Link)
- Look carefully at link #3; it should have a side with few folded papers visible.
- We call this side the neat side.
- Take the neat side of the link and turn it to the downside.
- Push the link through the left leg of the "V".
Step 11: Making Chains
- Repeat until there are 43 links to your chain.
- Make four of these 43 link chains.
Step 12: Making Crowns
- Using the 43 link chain we now make a crown.
- Now make a link #44 up to step #6.
- Turn and hold the chain so the left side creates a "V" with link 43.
- Put the two long legs of link 44 into the two holes on the neat side of link 43.
- Take the two long legs and continue to put them through the first link. Then fold and tuck the long legs into link 43 to hid the ends.
- Make four such crowns.
Step 13: Weaving the Crowns Together
- Fold the 2" X 10" strips into half - lengthwise.
- Weave a 10" long strip into one of each of the four crowns, continue into the next crown and so forth through all four crowns.
- Pull the10" strips down so there is no extra paper showing at the top leaving a long tail (about 3") at the bottom of the basket.
- Continue to weave the inside and outside of the basket with the 10" strips of paper until it is all covered with the strips.
Step 14: Attaching Cardboard Bottom
- Fold the 3-4 inch strip bottoms up so the inside strips go inside and the outside strips fold up outside the basket.
- Put glue one the inside bottom strips and attach to the circle of cardboard
- Inside the basket push down on the glued strips
Step 15: Colored Circles for Bottom of Basket
- Put glue on the inside of the basket cardboard and attach one of the circle papers.
- Put glue on the outside bottom strips and attach to the bottom of the circle of cardboard.
- Outside the basket push down on the glued strips
- Put glue on the bottom of the cardboard and attach the other circle to the outside bottom of the basket
Step 16: Finish Line
Q.E.D. (Quite Easily Done)
Step 17: Information for 9 Inch Diameter Basket
- 38 pieces of paper 12” X 12”
- Step 1-Cut each page into four 3” X 7 ½” pieces and one 3” X 10” piece. (There will be some waste paper.)
- Step 2-Put longer pieces of paper to the side and save
- Step 3- Use 3” X 7 ½” strips of paper and proceed with instructions.
- Two 9” diameter circles of paper
- One 9”diameter circle of cardboard
Step 18: Information for 6 Inch Diameter Basket
- Bamboo Skewers and Tweezers
- 15 pieces of paper 12” X 12”
- Step 1-Cut 11 pages into 2” X 5” strips of paper and cut 4 pages into 2” X 6” strips of paper.
- Step 2-Put longer pieces of paper to the side and save until step 8. Step 3- Use 2” X 5” strips of paper and proceed with instructions.
- One 6” diameter circle of cardboard for bottom of basket use in steps 11-16
- One 6” diameter circle of paper to cover outside bottom of basket use in step 16
- One 14 cm diameter circle to cover inside bottom of basket
Participated in the