Introduction: Yummy Mummy Apple Pie
This pastry is delicious, easy and fun to make.
Pepperidge Farm puff pastry (in the freezer section of the grocery store)
1 Apple (a Granny Smith makes a tart mummy, a sweeter apple like a Honey crisp makes a sweeter mummy)
2 Candy eyes
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients and Prep the Apple
Let one sheet of puff pastry sit on the counter for 15 minutes and go do something else (the puff pastry is thawing so you can easily unfold it).
When the timer goes off, set it a second time for 15 minutes and start working:
1.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix 2 Tbs. sugar, 1 tsp. corn starch, 1 tsp. cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Peel, core and slice one apple.
4. Add the apple to the sugar mix and coat all the slices.
5. Crack an egg and separate the white (cook up the yolk for your dog if you have one). Set aside.
Step 2: Lay the Apple Out and Wrap the "Mummy"
6. When the timer goes off, unfold the puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper (it should be easy to unfold now).
7. Lay the apples slices in the middle of the PP sheet starting an inch below the top edge and ending an inch above the bottom edge.
8. Make slanted slices (down) on other sides of the puff pastry. Fold them over - alternating strips. Trim the top and bottom sides free of excess dough.
9. Transfer the parchment paper with the mummy to a baking pan.
Step 3: Brush the Mummy Top and Bake
10. Brush the top with the egg white.
11. Bake for 15 min. then lower the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 15 min. more or until the top is golden brown.
Step 4: Enjoy!
12. Remove and allow to cool before inserting 2 candy eyes (you may decide the "bottom" looks better as the top!)
Participated in the
Halloween Food Contest 2016