Introduction: ZOMBB Survival Sling
Worried about zombies or the end of civilization? Need a very simple "bug out" bag?
I'm not really worried about zombies or the end of civilization, but I am prepared for having car issues away from the city. We've seen earthquakes in Haiti, Fukushima, Chili. We have witnessed hurricanes in the Carribean, and the levees break in New Orleans. These natural disasters have left people cold and hungry and without the basics to get home or to safety. That's what the ZOMBB bag is for - just to buy a little extra time to get to safety.
Step 1: Gather Materials
Materials to make the sling:
- Hand Towel (I used a 16.5x26" hand towel)
- Sewing Kit (needle, thread, scissors)
- 7' Strap (for attaching to your body)
- 2.5' Strap (for holding sling closed)
Materials to fill the sling:
- Hand Saw
- Can Opener
- Fire Starter (Flint and/or Lighter)
- 550 Cord
- 1,300 Calorie Meal
- Water Bottle
- Multi-Purpose Tool
- First Aid Kit (Bandaids, Gauze, Anti-Septic Wipes, Superglue)
- LED Flashlight
Step 2: Sew the Pocket
- Unfold the blanket
- Fold the hand towel in half and align at a corner of the blanket. The folded end of the towel should be along the bottom edge of the blanket - this will serve as the bottom of the pocket.
- Sew the 2 outer edges of the hand towel to the blanket. See this instructable for sewing seams
- You now have 2 pockets - one between the blanket and towel, and one between the folded sides of the towel!
Step 3: Sew the Roll-up Strap
- Fold the blanket in half longways, over the pocket.
- Roll the blanket from pocket to end
- Place roll strap around the bundle.
- While holding the position of the strap, unroll the blanket.
- Mark the place to attach the strap (yellow).
- Sew on the strap.
Step 4: Packing the Pockets
- In the back pocket (between blanket and towel), add food and water.
- In the front pocket, add survival supplies.
- Fold the full towel in half (longways), and lay along the bottom edge of the blanket (pocket side).
Step 5: Roll the Pack
Prepare the Sling
- Fold the blanket in half, such that it covers the towel.
- Place 7' strap vertically on the pocket edge of the blanket.
- Place the machete on top of the strap with the blade facing the end of the blanket.
- With both hands, roll the pack, supplies, and machete.
- Use the outer 2.5' strap to secure the roll.
Step 6: Wearing the Pack
- Slip strap through ring and velcro together.
- Slip the strap over one arm and your head and tighten the strap so that the pack is comfortable and secure on your back.
- Check ease of machete removal.
- Store in easily accessible place for your time of need.