Introduction: Zombie Story - Topsy Turvy Doll
When I was a kid, I had a Red Riding Hood Topsy Turvy doll. The doll had Red Riding Hood, Grandma, and The Wolf dressed as Grandma. Presumably it was meant to be a prop for telling the story. Topsy Turvy dolls have been around for ages (Traditional Topsy Turvy Dolls), but I haven't seen one recently. I decided it was time for one of these dolls to tell a different kind of story. A Zombie Story.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Plan
Figure out what you want your characters to be.
Keep in mind that you don't have to do girls in skirts. I thought about doing a guy with a long trench coat, but I didn't have appropriate fabric on hand.
Decide where you want each of your characters to be placed and what sorts of details you want to add.
Don't forget to think about the story. What kind of story can you tell with the characters you've chosen.
Step 2: Gather Supplies
basic sewing tools (scissors, sewing machine, needles, etc.)
red acrylic paint
course bristle brush
Step 3: Patterns
* Draw your pattern shapes onto some scrap fabric, muslin, newspaper, or a plastic bag.
* Remember that you need to make everything a 1/4 in. thicker for seam allowance.
* Make sure that your body, arms, and hair will fit within the length of the skirt. (After I add long hair one side, I'll have to lengthen the skirt.)
* When drawing the skirt, use a ruler to make sure it is the same length all the way around.
Step 4: Faces
* Cut 3 flesh toned faces and 1 zombie face.
* Add all the details to the faces before sewing them together
I'm mostly going to allow the images to speak for themselves for the details. None of these details need to be done the way I did them. Be creative. Use what you have on hand. For instance, I used buttons for the eyes, but you could just as easily use fabric or beads.
Step 5: Zombie Face
* I used a dingy sock and yellow thread for the teeth.
* Anywhere you want to add ripped flesh, cut a hole and sew red fabric behind it. It's okay if red thread shows through if you make it look like scratches.
* Add the clothes that will be around the dolls waist/chest. (Not the skirt)
* Sew each set of faces together inside-out.
* Turn them right-side-out and stuff them with fluff
Step 7: Add Hair
I used this tutorial as a guide for my hair. Because I have another face on the back of my head, I rotated the seam.
I didn't have wax paper, so I used a plastic bag.
I used T-pins to hold down the hair while I stitched it on.
Step 8: Bride Hair
I used a much smaller bundle of yarn for the bride, because I wanted to do an updo on her. Instead of stitching, I just tied the ends together. The pieces I tied with became bangs. Her veil will cover the face on the back.
The buns are just a basic knot tied loosely and stitched down.
Step 9: Sew Halves Together
Fold any extra fabric at the bottom of the dolls like a present and sew the two together.
If you will be splattering blood, it is very important to put the two bloody sides facing the same way. They will share a dress facing, therefore, it won't matter if the "blood" seeps through.
Step 10: Skirt
* Cut your skirt pieces. One for each side. I also cut a lacy one for the bride. (3 total)
* Sew each skirt piece separately and press the seam.
* Put one skirt inside the other with the seams facing out.
* Stich the bottom hem and turn right-side-out.
* Gather the top/waist. I did this by sewing some elastic to it while holding it taught.
* Hand stitch the waist to the doll on both sides.
* Add a sash to cover the seam.
Step 11: Blood and Battle Damage
* Use a lighter to burn holes in the brides dress. (Keep a wet towel near by to extinguish if necessary)
* Mix red acrylic paint with some water.
* Use a course bristle brush to splatter the paint onto the doll.
* Stay away from the edges to avoid it showing on the pretty side.
* Let it dry, flip, and repeat.
Step 12: Tell a Story
Once upon a time there was a beautiful bride and her maid of honor. When the wedding is crashed by zombies and her friend becomes infected, the bride has to kick some zombie a**.