A delicious, quick and easy pasta dish. A tomato and creamy cheese sauce with bacon, mushrooms and penne - a classic combination and a lovely comfort dish. I hope you enjoy!
serves 4-6 people
500 g penne (of course you can subsitute any pasta you like)
2 400g tins tomatoes/passata
300g mushrooms chopped
200g soft cheese (i used philadelphia with herbs but any plain soft cheese would work too)
1 onion chopped
1 250g pack bacon chopped (i used smoked but unsmoked is ok if you prefer)
1 tbs olive oil
parsley to garnish (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- heat frying pan add chopped bacon and fry until crispy
- in a separate pan add olive oil, chopped onion and mushrooms and fry until softened
- combine the cooked mushroom mix and bacon and then add the chopped tomatoes to this
- cook for about 15-20 minutes until it has thickened up and reduced slightly.
- add the cream cheese and stir to combine
- 10 minutes before the end of cooking the sauce put a pan of salted water on to boil then add the penne (or pasta of choice) and cook according to packet instructions (between 7-12 minutes usually)
- when the pasta is cooked drain and add to the pasta sauce and stir until well combined
- top with black pepper, chopped parsley and parmesan if you like.
If you like this recipe you can check out my blog on http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/