Bleaching Powder Battery





Introduction: Bleaching Powder Battery

Its a simple homemade battery costs around .92$

Step 1: Materials

500g of ordinary chlorax bleach
Tap water
×1 clip cable
×10 50ml small container's
×10 aluminum strips
×10 copper strips
multiple voltametre

Step 2: Cells Construction

Take a knife , make two slits , beware make one small and make one bit large and make a small hole using shouldering iron for drain hole.

Step 3: Electrodes

Fit the aluminium strip to the large slit and copper to small slit.

ALUMINUM - cathode

COPPER + anode

Step 4: Filling Electrolyte

Take one container, fill water until it reaches top, later add a spoon of chloride bleach, stirred it well until it dissolve.

Step 5: Testing Cell

Have a look, each cell produces around 1.35v to 1.45v.

Step 6: Connecting All Cells

Now, I have connected all cells together, it produces 14.30v to around 15v max so I can easily connect to my home theater.
THANK YOU...............



    • Oil Contest

      Oil Contest
    • Water Contest

      Water Contest
    • Creative Misuse Contest

      Creative Misuse Contest

    60 Discussions


    Question 3 months ago

    Is there any issue of small amount of chlorine being developed here? Wow, 14-15 volts from these chlorax batteries! Quite innovative. Well, any metal with a base (bleach contains Lye too) would generate electricity.

    Do you know if Hypochorite ions in solution with lye help increase voltage? Electrical Potential Molar of Lye (Sodium hydroxide).

    NaOH (aq) >>> Na+ + OH-. Probably the main factor. Hypochorite ions are quite weak for an acid tho.

    As a test you should test 1 mole Lye soluton and 1 mole Bleach to see the difference in voltage. That would allow you to see the difference in voltage potential here.

    I would seriously like to know how this type of knowledge is obtained. The contributors and commenters, (while not always the best spellers) have a grasp of chemistry, physics, engineering, etc. that I never got in school and I know my kids are not getting, despite taking AP Science classes. Without practical application, there is little retention or deep understanding of complex connections, but even simple applications that could lead to more innovation. Is this by design? Because I feel that if more kids were exposed to the exciting world of making, and doing, with mentors who encouraged trial and error, but supervised to teach safety, to prevent accidents, we would see much more engaged citizens and less crime even. Yet the schools and local governments seem resistant to allow the development of spaces that would nurture this type of learning.

    very, very interesting... my self and my grandsons would try this ....will use led on the output or led bulbs according to voltage...maybe it will make a good night light...i bought a led clock that has a wick and uses water to power it,its over a year now and it is still working.

    my great grandfather had a 12' x 16' poured concrete vat 4' high in the side yard of his house around 1931?- 1953 (a-c lines finally ran to area). this vat contained similar cathodes and water with an active agent from U.S.Carbide added a 90 pound bag at the mother can verify this but did not know name of agent used.

    1 reply

    US Carbide is an acetylene manufacturer, so that bag was more than likely calcium carbide, like the name. Coal miners use to wear CC lamps, where they'd drop a lump into some water for light down below.

    Wow, amazing, the next step is making it rechargeable somehow...

    5 replies

    if you try to recharge the electrodes may carrode ,

    Just fill the cells with salt water and charge with 24v output charger.

    this is ingenious man, im very impressed, well done my friend, well done

    If you try to attempt charging the electrodes "CARRODE".

    hello dear,

    grate work at this what is the amps value when you make it you check ?????

    (short circuit current) ?????

    I think the word you are trying to spell is "CORRODE".

    Chlorine-based electrolyte solution might be corrosive on its own. Is it not? It doesn't appear that the electrodes would last that long unless you are aiming to make a disposable battery. In that case it would do.

    If you notice low voltage.....
    Don't worry, just drain the water and refill new electrolyte.

    if the surface area is increased, you may be able to get more voltage per cell...