This is a quick and easy pasta dish - ready in about 15 minutes - the capelli d'angelo (angel hair pasta) only takes about 3 minutes to cook. I love mussels, but you could easily substitute these for prawns, clams or even tinned tuna. The smokiness of the chorizo works really well with the aniseedy fennel and mussels. I hope you enjoy - a really light and "Summery" pasta dish. I am still being hopeful about the Summer......
1 bulb fennel thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
100g chorizo sliced
250g cooked and shelled mussels (if you are cooking your mussels from fresh make sure your follow proper guidelines - how to prepare and cook mussels)
2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 handful frozen petit pois/peas
2 tbs olive oil
1 red chilli or 1 tsp chilli flakes
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
400g capelli d'angelo (angel hair pasta)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Method:
- get all your ingredients together then heat a frying pan with the olive oil.
- when hot add the chorizo, garlic, chilli, lemon zest and fennel - cook for about 4-5 minutes until softened.
- next add the tinned tomatoes and cook for about 10 more minutes until reduced and thickened up a bit.
- in the last few minutes add your pasta to a pan of boiling, salted water and the mussels and petit pois into the sauce.
- drain your pasta after checking it's done - this takes about 3 minutes - then add to the sauce and stir until well coated.
- check the seasoning and if you want finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with a simple green salad and crusty bread.
If you like this recipe you can check out my other recipes on http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/