Hi guys wanted to show that after marking where all my joists were I used 2by8 's to create the grid I needed to make for 9 even squares in my 14by14 foot room. I had to also allow for the part faux beams that would be connected to the wall.
here is what the finished grid looks like. I also used some scrap wood to act as supports to hold up the cross members whole I screwd them in. Before drywalling I ran all my electrical wiring, but left extra wire above each sqaure so that I could put my halogens dead centre after the boxes were up for the faux beams.
Here ypu can see the 5/8 mdf that I used for my faux boxes and blocking on the walls. Your boxes have to fit around whatever stock you use for your hangars and I used construction adhesive and screws to hold the boxes together. This was easy because I could make everything on the ground and then just screw them in place when they were done. Mdf needs to be predrilled to at least a 1/16 of an inch deeper than the screws you use.
This is a big step but the pixture give you a good idea of what the boxes look like and this shows the crown molding I used. The ceiling was only nine feet high so I only made my beams 4 and a half inches thick and roughly 8 inches wide. I used a crown moulding that only took up two inches of the beam. I bought myself a jig from a company called Kreg for hassle free crown molding cuts on my mitre saw. I then used an air nailer with 1 inch brad nails and construction adheshive to attach it. I have also cut my holes for my halogens. I also bought a centre medallion at home depot and stuck it up with adhesive. Keep some white paintable caulking on hand to hide any gaps.
In this step you can see them small strips of pine I ripped to cover the screw hole in the bottoms of my beams. I didn't buy these I just ripped some 1by6 pine on my tablesaw. You can also see some of my patching work. I fill in every nail hole with caulking.
prime paint, push in your halogens and your done. Total cost 550$ canadian. P.s. buy yourself a laser level to help out with laying out the beams. I Think it makes the room look a lot bigger. Total time was about 40 hours. Thanks