When only a cookie will do…
An adaptable, customizable cookie recipe. Make the basic dough, then add your choice of extras.
I went with cranberry and white chocolate. Please share your flavours in the comments below…..
Step 1: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
basic dough (makes about 24 cookies)
100g/3½ oz rolled oats
125g/4½ oz plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
50g/1¾ oz bar milk or white chocolate
100g/3½ oz butter @room temperature
200g/7oz caster sugar
1 large egg
plus chocolate chunks, dried fruit, nuts, whatever...
• preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5
• measure oats into blender or food processor and whizz to fine powder
• Grate in the chocolate, then add the flour, soda, baking powder and salt and stir to mix.
Step 2: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
• cream butter with both sugars. beat egg and vanilla together and beat into creamed mixture.
Step 3: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
• Add mixed, dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. It will start to form a dough. At this point you can add your extras (like the cranberry and white chocolate chunks) and gather the mixture into a ball with your hands.
Step 4: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
• roll into balls 4-5cm/1½” in diameter. Cover a baking tray with greaseproof paper and place the cookie dough balls onto it with space between them (I tend to cook six to a tray). Flatten the balls slightly with your hand before putting in the oven.
Step 5: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
• bake for about 10 minutes until the cookies are slightly golden in colour. They will still be soft, but will flatten and harden on cooling.
Step 6: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
• allow to harden on the baking tray and transfer to a cooling rack once solid.
• You may need to stand guard to prevent theft by cookie burglars.
Step 7: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
• Enjoy your cookies.....
Step 8: Emergency Last-minute Multi-purpose Panic Cookies
• You could replace 50g/1½oz of the plain flour with cocoa for double chocolate cookies.
• As well as adding extras to the cookie dough, you can push sweets like smarties or m and m’s into the cookies straight after they are removed from the oven and still soft. They will be held in place when the cookies cool.