Intro: Indian Dry Potato Curry
indian dry potato curry
This is the first recipe I learned to cook when I was about 8! Its easy and tasty….and best thing…you can use it for fillings in toasted sandwiches, samosa pastries or an indian quesadilla! You would normally serve this dry curry with roti bread and yogurt. .but is also nice with dhal and rice :)
Step 1: Ingredients
3 medium desiree potatoes in small cubes
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 to 3 tbs ricebran oil or any oil that takes a high heat
1 level tsp salt to taste
1/4 tsp asofoetida (optional!)
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp corriander powder
Red chilli powder to taste..usually half to 1 teaspoon
Step 2: Method
1. Heat oil in a non-stick fry pan on a medium heat for few minutes and add cumin seeds..when they start to sizzle, and asofoetida, tumeric and carefully add cubed potato to pan.
2. Sprinkle the salt over all the potatoes and mix everything well to combine. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 6 to 7 minutes on medium heat. The idea is to create a steamy environment for the potato to cook fully.
3. Carefully open the lid away from your face after this time and stir the potatoes…they should have started to soften up.
4. Add the chilli and corriander powders, stir well and cover again for further 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Remove lid and increase the heat slightly to now dry fry the potatoes for another 5 minutes without the lid on so they crisp up..they should start to go golden brown and not burn! You could add a drizzle of oil to help the process if needed.And now its ready to serve! Enjoy!