who does not love cupcakes?
its an individually wrapped cake of awesomeness just for you!
no sharing required!
however even though your regular white/yellow, chocolate, and devils food cakes are super tasty they can become dull and boring after a while.
lucky for you! i have created these cupcakes just in time!
lemon flavored rainbow cupcakes with lemon flavored cream cheese frosting!
your taste buds and inner child will thank me....
Step 1: Ingredients!
you will need
* 2 boxes of your favorite WHITE cake mix ( must be white for colors to look super bright)
* the other ingredients needed to make your cake mix as stated on the box
* (mine called for 2 eggs and 1 1/3 cup water for each box)
* 1 lemon
* food coloring (the gel kind works best)
* two 8oz bricks of cream cheese of your choice
* one 2lb bag of powered sugar
* 1 lemon
* qt size ziplock bag
* cake decorating tips (if you dont have them its fine. just makes the frosting look all fancy like)
other stuff! (not pictured)
* 2 large bowls for mixing cake and frosting
* 6 smaller bowls and 6 spoons for mixing colors
* hand mixer or stand mixer
* large spoon (for dividing cake mix)
* cupcake liners
* muffin pan
* a good chunk of time set aside to make these cupcakes and loads of patience (though it is SO worth it in the end)
Step 2: CAKE MIXING TIME!
1) mix the cake according to the directions on the packaging
you can use a from scratch cake recipe if you wish. i however was not that ambitious.
remember we are making a white cake here so the food coloring will take better, be brighter, and not be off when baked!
in order to do so we have to separate the egg yokes and the egg whites.
only the egg whites will be used in the cake
2) zest and juice ONE lemon and add to the batter and mix
* make sure no seeds git in the batter!
3) separate the batter evenly (or as evenly as possible) between the 6 small bowls
Step 3: LAYERS!
with the spoon you mixed each color lightly layer about 1.5 teaspoons one by one into each cupcake liner.
making sure to keep as close to the edge of the liner as possible
in order to get the rainbow layer on the outside.
if the batter is to thin the cakes in the middle will take on a more tye dye look instead of the desired rainbow effect.
repeat untill all of the batter is gone.
*remember to preheat oven to temperature as stated on box or in recipe
Step 4: BAKING!
once all the cupcake liners are filled place in oven and bake
to check if they are done poke a cupcake in the middle of the pan in the center with a toothpick
if the toothpick comes out clean (no batter goo stuck to it) they are done!
take out of oven and let cool.
while they are baking and cooling you can get ready for FROSTING!
Step 5: Making the Frosting!
1) blend cream cheese till it is smooth
2) zest and juice second lemon (add it to the cream cheese)
3) add powdered sugar to taste. (the more sugar the firmer the frosting will set)
(stir the sugar in before turning on the mixer or you will have a cloud of powered sugar attack you)
4) place in the refrigerator to chill. it makes frosting the cupcakes a billion time easier
Step 6: Frosting Part Two!
get your frosting,
the ziplock bag
the frosting tips
and the scissors
1) take the zip lock bag and cut a small section of ONE corner off. remember you can always make it bigger if need be.
*at this time if you do not have frosting tips you can use the plastic bag as is for pipping the frosting so skip to #3
2) attach the frosting tip to the bag
3) fill bag with frosting!
*if you sorta fold the bag over your hand like you were rolling up your pant leg it makes this step a lot easier
Step 7: FROST THE CUPCAKES!
starting at the outside create a sprial going towards the middle.
makes them look all fancy like!
Step 8: EAT!!!! NOM NOM NOM
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!!
Finalist in the