2 cups of caster sugar
3 cups of plain flour
grated zest of 1 lemons
2 tbs kirsch (optional)
2 tsp almond essence
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder
350g pitted morello cherries (I used a drained jar of cherries in syrup, but tinned or fresh would work well too)
1 cup icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
- Grease a bundt tin, and dust it lightly with flour. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, sugar, almond essence, and kirsch (if using) lemon zest and salt. Beat using an electric whisk for about 3-4 mins.
- Stir in the cherries with a spoon until well mixed.
- Roll the marzipan into long sausage shapes - this will be your central layer.
- Pour half the mixture into the tin then add your marzipan 'sausages' - top with the remaining cake mix.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes until well risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven, remove cake from tin after a few minutes and leave to cool on a rack.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together and pour over cake.
Enjoy with a nice cup of tea or coffee....let me know how you get on :)
You can check out my other recipes on http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/