i have recently upgraded my shocks on my mtb from a RST gila (100mm travel) to a marzocchi jr-t (150mm travel) i have advertised them in my local paper but then i notice a break in the right preload where you could just turn it and turn it and it wouldnt come to a stop...it wouldnt adjust the stiffness so it was just pretty useless. i am going to show YOU how to fix this annoying problem with a quick fix involving only a few simple tools...
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Will Need.
you will need:
a lighter or matches
a small candle or tea light
sharp nail cutters
a pack of needles
Step 2: Remove the Preload Adjuster.
first you have to unscrew the preload adjusters...the dials that you twist to firm up your shocks they should be finger tight but if they arent just get a wrench and clamp it round the base to undo it.
Step 3: WHATS THE PROBLEM!?!?!?
you should now have the preload adjuster|s taken out, i took our both to get a comparison between the broken one and the ok one, as i examined the adjuster i was suprised to know that it is 99% plastic, then i finally found out what the problem was-the wings on either side of the slider inside the adjuster has sheared off so instead of going up and down it just kept on going around and around which sucks.
i had to find a way to substitute for the broken wings on the slider so what you have to do is light a candle, take a needle out of the packet and heat the end of the needle up whilst holding it safely at the end of the pliers, when it gets red hot stab the needle through the slot and it should melt into the place where the wings of the slider once were.
you should only have to put a needle in one side of the slider but if you want it to be extra strong you can put one in each side but only one in one side should do.
Step 4: Finishing Up.
now that you have fixed the preload adjuster you can trim the needle|s that you have put in place of the wings, i would strongly suggest using sharp nail cutters for this as they can cut the needles short and close to the slot making sure they dont get caught or pulled out once reinstalled in the shocks.
Step 5: End Notes.
anyways the preload is fixed and it should last for a long time before having to be fixed again, so i hope you find this helpful and look forward to my next instructable...bye