Intro: Paper Airplane Glider
In this instructable i'm going to teach you how to fold a paper airplane. This specific airplane is a 'glider'. You throw it slowly(just letting go is fast enough) after which it will glide to the ground. Onto the instructions!
Step 1: Ingredients
For this instructable you need:
-One A4 sized paper(Any rectangular piece will work, just make sure it isn't too small!)
Step 2: Fold!
Use the image below as a guide.
1) Take the upper left corner and fold it down right, try to match the top to the right side off the paper
2) Do the same for the upper right corner
3) Flip the paper
4) Press the middle off the folded cross and fold the top of the paper down so that the top and bottom part off the cross meet up
5) Flip the paper
6) Here comes the hard part: Press the middle off the cross and fold the left and right side towards each other. fold the top down. make sure all your folds are sharp(see hints section)
7) Now take the left and right corner off the triangle you just folded and fold them to the point off your triangle(to make a diamond shape)
8) Fold your airplane in half
9) Make a new fold +/- 1/3 of an inch(+/-1cm) above the (new) bottom off the plane
10) Do the same on the other side
11) Now the most important part:fold the last part off your wing up, This is to increase lift, Do this on both sides
12) fold your airplane open and make sure the wing-flap-thingys are at a 90 degree angle to the wing
13) (optional) to optimize your plane you can add staples to the front section on the plane to decrease lift(this airplane normally has too much and when you throw it it will go up and then down again, it's best to prevent this by adding weight to the front)
Step 3: Hints
Some hints when folding/throwing this airplane:
-When folding this airplane you don't have to guess angles, Most off the time matching paper edges gives you the correct angle
-When throwing start by holding the airplane in your hand an hold it as high as possible, Then let go, After having done this a couple off times try throwing it a bit, After some experimentation you'll find the correct speed to throw at
-Throwing fast DOESN'T WORK with this airplane
-To improve your airplane add a staple to the nose and throw it, it should fly way better, add some more staples BUT DON'T OVERDO IT as too much weight won't help, Most off the time two staples are enough
-Sharp folding is VERY important when folding this airplane, To make a sharp fold you first fold it normally and then press the fold between your thumbnail and your index finger, Then pull the fold through, Fdo this a couple off times but again DON'T OVERDO IT as this does weaken the fold a bit, See the image below.
Thanks for reading my instructable, and if you liked it please visit my site: uselesblog.freehostia.com/
all images in this instructable were made by me in the free vector drawing program Inkscape, please do distribute these images but do not claim them as your own, and a link to this instructable or my site would be appreciated, at least mention my name when using them, And no, my hand doesn't look so deformed as in the picture, and yes i do still have all five off my fingers