- tape measure
- drill bits
- draw slide
- power saw
Step 1: Building the Legs and Base
To start off you need to cut four legs for the coffee table. i have done mine at 100mm because i had some off cuts from other projects.
i then took a pallet and placed 3 planks side by side. this is how i determinded the length of the table. i then used another plank as the back and another for the sides and little sections of the front.
i pre drilled and screwed all of this together. Because its hard wood it is rather tough and needed to be pre drilled
Step 2: Building the Draws
when it came to building the draws, i came up with the size from how much of the pallets that was left over. in the pgotos tou can see the arrows pointing to some of the table. these were the last of thr pallet. once these were in then i found out what size to make the draws but you can make it to what ever size you want.
for the slides i had one set laying around which i used and another i had to buy.
i started to build both draws from some off cuts of redgum flooring that was left over on a jobsite i was on. i built the draws from the floorboards and the front panel is the redgum pallet plank.
Step 3: The Hole in the Top
this hole in the top will be just something a bit different. i plan on putting candles or even some little plants in there.
i cut the hole in the top and then underneath i just had two bits of timber for walls which also helped to fix the draw slides to. this was done from redgum decking, same material as the draw.
Step 4: Staining the Table
this stage was tricky. i am not really up with whats good and whats not so it was a matter of trial and error on scrap bits of that wood.
once i had found the perfect stain/varnish it was time to give it a coat
dont forget to sand! sand sand sand. it gives a better finish. but depending on how rustic you want it. more rustic- less sanding.(gets rid of sharp edges and splinters)
The stain i ended up choosing was a jarrah stain.
Step 5: The Final Product
once i had stained the table i used an poxy to get a glass like finish. this was in two parts and had to to be poured together, mixed then poured onto the surface which it then was spread around by myself. once spread it self leveled. i stuck duct tape around the outsides to prevent any liquid from pouring over the sides.