Introduction: Upside Down Fruit Cake in a Sandwich Maker
Cake in a sandwich maker? Yes,you read it right!
I have always wondered what could i do if i don't own an oven. until someone referred me a sandwich maker cake technique so I thought, why not give it a try?
INGREDIENTS for the cake ( makes 4 big size triangles)
1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Plain flour
1/2 tablespoonful Baking powder
1/8 cup milk or water(more or less)
vanilla extract ( as required)
for the topping
2 table spoons sugar ( brown or white)
1/2 tablespoon butter
sliced fresh/frozen fruits ( a handfull
1. In a large bowl, combine the oil and sugar together and beat/mix until creamy.
2. Add the egg and continue mixing; then add the essence (optional) Mix thoroughly.
3. Gradually sift in the flour& baking powder bit by bit. mix
4. Add the milk/water , bit by bit,and continue mixing until you get a light consistency, with no lumps.
5 Now, prepare the sandwich maker by brushing the insides with oil. Close it and preheat for 3 minutes ( or less).
6. Add the caramelized sugar. Add the fruits on top. Then scoop in the cake batter into each of the four wells of the sandwich maker.
Tip: if you want a cake with the shape of toast bread, then fill the sandwich maker to the square mark, but for a smaller triangular cake, fill only the smaller triangular wells.
7. Close the lid and leave for about 3 minutes ( or less) or until lightly browned on fruit side. turn over and repeat.
Tip: To check if cake is cooked, simply dip a toothpick into the cakes;if the toothpick comes out clean and dry, you know the cake is ready, if not, you'll have to leave it for an extra minute or until well done.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.