Introduction: DMS Controller and Display Panel
This lesson goes over the DMS Router's controls and displays so that you may best understand control the machine while it is cutting your material.
- The controller is where you will run the router.
- Screen Letter keys
- Number keys
- Function keys
- These keys select the on-screen option directly above the key.
- Jog controls
- Feed Rate Override
- Cycle Start & Feed Hold buttons
- Mode switch
- Emergency reset button
- One on the console
- Two on the machine chassis
- One on the pendant
- Blast gate switch
To enter jog mode, press jog (F4) from the main menu.
There are four controls related to jogging.
- Jog Increment Selector
- Rotate the dial to select how far the head will jog for each button push.
- The numbers represent 0.0001"
- 1 = 0.0001" and 10000 = 1"
- The wavy line all the way to the right selects continuous jog.
- Axis buttons
- Press the axis button to move that direction in the selected increment.
- In continuous jog mode, the head will move as long as the button is down.
- Rapid button
- The head will move faster while the button is held down.
- Feed Rate Override
- Changes the feed rate - between 0 and 120%
G53 and G54
Coordinates are displayed in inches.
G53 is the Machine Coordinate System (Machine Home).
- When the machine is in G53 mode the displayed coordinates are measured from the upper left corner of the machine.
G54 is the Work Coordinate System (Work Home).
- When the machine is in G54 mode the displayed coordinates are measured from the corner of your work (or wherever you set X, Y & Z).
To change modes from the main menu
- Press Jog and MDI to enter MDI mode.
- Type G53 or G54 & press Cycle Start.
Moving the Head in MDI Mode
From main menu, press Jog & MDI to enter MDI mode.
In the MDI mode, you can enter a coordinate for the machine to travel to.
- Axis (X, Y, Z, B or C)[coordinate].
- Set Feed Rate override to 0.
- Be especially careful using MDI commands in Z.
- Cycle Start.
- Slowly increase feed rate.
You must be aware of what system (G53 or G54) you are in. The machine will move to the coordinates for the current system.
- X3 Cycle Start
- Will cause the head to move to X3. The other axes will not move.
- X5.125 Cycle Start Y-2 Cycle Start
- Will cause the head to move to X5.125, Y-2. The other axes will not move.
The spindle dust collector captures dust and chips at the spindle. It is a custom fiberglass shroud that can be controlled with "flood coolant" commands in the CAM program.
- Use the dust collector shroud (coolant on) for any tool longer than 3 1/2", measured from the bottom of the spindle.
- The shroud gets in the way of shorter tools, so keep it open (coolant off).
- To manually open the shroud, enter M66 & press Cycle Start from the MDI menu.
- To manually close the shroud, enter M65 & press Cycle Start from the MDI menu.
If working from the Pier 9 workshop, the woodshop dust collector must be used whenever the DMS is in operation.
- Start the dust collector in the woodshop.
- Place the "Dust Collector in Use by DMS" sign on the woodshop dust collector switch.
- Open the Blast Gate switch on the DMS controller.