Introduction: Getting Started With the DMS CNC Router
Our most important safety callouts are highlighted in yellow throughout this course.
Approved Materials for the DMS Router
- Some plastics
- Some foam
- Carbon fiber and composites
If at Pier 9, see Shop Staff first before using these materials:
- All other materials
If you are working from another studio or workshop, refer to the tool's instruction manual to see if your desired material is suitable for tool use.
The DMS CNC router is a large 5 axis router with the following specifications:
- 12 horsepower spindle
- 24,000 RPM maximum spindle speed
- Work envelope of 5' x 5' x 4' (X, Y & Z)
- Tool changer can hold up to 12 tools
Required for Use
Before you start your work, make sure you have the following materials:
- An .nc file from your completed CAM file.
- A thumb drive to copy the .nc file to the mill.
- Setup Sheets from your CAM software.
- A copy of this DMS Router Class.
Steps for Successful Use
To make a part, you need to complete each step in order.
- Insert custom tools into the holders.
- Start up the router.
- Install & measure the tools.
- Warm up the spindle.
- Set the Work Offset (G54).
- Load the program.
- Run the program.
- Clean up.
After preparing your material for the router, measure it carefully and change the setup in your CAM program if needed.