Introduction: Operating the Jointer
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette when squaring hardwood on the jointer.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the tool.
- Set the fence width.
- Adjust the guard arm.
- Set the fence angle if needed.
- Adjust the guard if needed.
- Turn on the dust collector.
- Check the power and e-stops.
- Set the depth of cut.
Making the Cut
- Push start.
- Press the workpiece against the fence and down on the table.
- Use the large push stick if possible.
- With the push stick, smoothly and evenly slide the workpiece across the knives applying pressure on the outfeed table.
- Keep fingers at least 3" away from the guard at all times.
- Stay in control of the workpiece until it is well past the knives.
- Repeat as needed.
- Making the final pass with a shallow depth of cut and a slow, steady speed will make a very smooth cut.
- Brush off the table.
- Clean up the area.
- Turn off dust collector if it is not in use by any other woodshop machines.
- Put scraps in the trash and reusable pieces in the storage bin in the woodshop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Happy Jointing!