Introduction: Operating the Mill
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette for using the manual mill.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the table.
- Secure the workpiece.
- See Shop Staff if you need assistance.
- Select a cutting bit & collet.
- Install the bit & collet.
- Lookup the RPM (speed) for your cutter and material.
- Change the hi/low gearbox if needed.
- Lock the quill (unless drilling).
- Lock any axis not being moved.
- Determine which way the table will need to move to avoid climb cutting.
- Place the shield in front of the work area.
Making the Cut
- Start the mill.
- Change the RPM.
- Engage the end mill into the material.
- Take no more than 1/2 the diameter of the cutter in depth or width of cut.
- Avoid climb cutting.
- Unlock an axis before moving it.
- Lock the axis after movement.
- Use the power feed for a better surface finish.
- Clean the mill and the area nearby.
- Use brushes and a vacuum.
- Never use compressed air.
- Clean up any coolant spills.
- Put away end mills, drill bits and tools.
- Recycle scraps and put reusable pieces in the storage bin in the metal shop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Happy Milling!