Introduction: Operating the Vertical Bandsaw
The following outlines basic operation and etiquette when making cuts on the vertical band saw.
Area and Machine Preparation
- Clean and clear the table.
- Make sure there is sufficient room around the saw for your workpiece.
- Have a push stick ready and within easy reach.
- Adjust the blade guard height.
- The height of the blade guide should be about ¼” above your material.
- The blade guard covers the blade and helps reduce the chance of injury.
Making the Cut
- Turn on the blade and wait for the saw to come up to speed.
- Adjust the speed, according to the chart.
- Slowly push the material into the blade.
- Experience will help determine the correct speed for the material, thickness, blade type and other variables.
- Keep at least one hand on the material; if the blade is under strain, release forward pressure.
- Stay in control of the material until it is past the back of the blade.
- Turn off the blade, and wait for it to stop.
- Double check that the blade is not moving.
- Lower the blade guard all the way down.
- Brush off the table and clean up the area.
- Recycle scraps and put reusable pieces in the storage bin in the metal shop.
Print Out This Guide
This course is available as a PDF that is attached to this step. Enjoy the bandsaw safely!