Introduction: Tips for Great TIG Welds
Becoming a good welder will take many hours of practice.
Holding and Moving the Torch
Hold the torch so the tungsten is about 1/8" above the workpiece.
The angle that the torch intersects the workpiece is known as the work angle. In general, the torch should bisect the angle of the two workpieces.
Using the Torch
There are three actions the user must do at the same time.
- Press the pedal with your foot.
- Press the pedal further for more heat.
- Hold the torch in one hand 1/4" to 1/2" away from the
- Hold the torch still to form a small puddle.
- Hold the filler rod with the other hand.
- Dip the filler rod into the molten puddle.
- Do not heat the filler rod.
After dipping the filler rod, move the torch slightly to the left, and repeat steps 2 & 3 (if welding from right to left).
Each puddle should overlap the previous and form a continuous bead of weld.