Introduction: Tools and Tool Holders
Understand the difference between library tools and custom tools.
- These tools are stored next to the router, and correspond to the DMS Pier 9 Tool Library that you imported into your CAM software.
- Check the sign on the front of the router, and make sure you used the same library in your CAM program.
- Each tool is engraved with a number that corresponds to its number in the library.
- These tools are loaded into tool holders by Shop Staff.
- Do not make any adjustment to any library tool.
- These are the tools in your CAM program that are not in the library, such as drill bits.
- You need to insert them into the tool holders.
Insert Tools Into the Holders
There are two kinds of tool holders: drill chucks and collets. Both kinds should be held in the tool vise on the front of the mill while preparing custom tools.
- Only use for holding drill bits.
- Tighten by applying force clockwise with the correct wrench for the chuck.
Collets & tool holders
- Use a collet that is the same size as the shank of the cutting tool.
- Snap the collet into the collet nut.
- Screw the nut onto the collet a few turns.
- Insert the cutter as deep as possible.
- Grip the shank, not the flutes.
- Tighten the collet nut with the wrench.
Start Up the Router
Turn on the power
- Throw the knife switch on the right side of the router.
- Release all the e-stops by rotating clockwise.
- If the blue Emergency Reset light flashes, press it for several seconds.
- This should also clear on-screen errors.
Reference the axes
- Open the Jog Menu. (F4)
- Press Reference Search. (F1)
- Select All Axes. (F7)
- Press Cycle Start.
- Check that the Feed Override is not set to zero.
Referencing the axes will hit the limit switch on all 5 axes and send the head to Machine Home. This position is G53 X0 Y0 Z0 B0 C0.
After referencing, the spindle will move to Y-1.
Install and Measure the Tools
Prepare the machine
- Enter MDI mode.
- Press Main Menu
- Press Jog. (F4)
- Press MDI. (F4)
- Ensure the current tool is 0.
- If it isn't, run the Goodnight program or see Shop Staff.
- Ensure the tool magazine is empty.
- Turn the Mode Key to Setup.
- Open the spindle dust collector if needed.
- Type M66.
- Press Cycle Start.
- Open the tool probe cover.
Perform a Tool Change
Perform these steps for each tool.
Close the tool probe cover when done.
You must be in MDI mode to change tools.
- Type T[tool number] & press Cycle Start.
- Type M6 & press Cycle Start.
- The machine will change the tool.
- Verify the tool number on the screen.
- Press ESC to go up one level (jog mode).
- Jog the head over to the doors.
Install the tool
- Press USER. (F5)
- Press Manual Tool Eject. (F1)
- Press Enable Tool Eject. (F1)
- Insert the tool into the spindle.
- Hold the tool in the spindle.
- Press and release the green button on the spindle.
- Press EXIT (F7) twice.
Measure the tool
- Press MDI (F4).
- Press M[100+tool number] & press Cycle Start.
- Add 100 to the tool number (3 = M103)